Ammo, Cleaning, and Breaking All the Rules

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

NCST8

Ammo, Cleaning, and Breaking All the Rules

Post by NCST8 »

Please forgive a cross post from Rimfire Central and AR15.com. I thought people might find this interesting.

I put this here to get some extra views versus the 22 forum. I figure most people have a 22, but few people make it to that forum.

At a recent match, things didn't go so well. After the match, I put the gun on a lead sled to test some things. The results were terrible. I was getting about 6" groups at 100 yards. I was actually shooting better groups from my position.

I had always been taught not to clean the barrel of my 1973 Anschutz 54. So, I hadn't cleaned the rifle's barrel in the 10 years that I have owned it. That was going to have to change. I know that the Olympic team is now cleaning their rifles after practices and matches.

For cleaning, I started with the action and chamber. The barrel got Hoppe's, patches, and a jag. That worked okay, but it needed more. So, I went to a brush. That did better, but it needed a lot of scrubbing. I would scrub for a while and then use the jag. When this wasn't getting out the stuff just ahead of the chamber, I used a tornado brush. I figured with a rifle shooting 6" groups as 100, it was time to go all in.

Today, I headed to the range to test ammo. My plan was to use the scope I used in the match, a rest, rear bag, and lots of ammo and time. For aiming, I used the 50 metric bull. All shooting today was done at 50 yards. Conditions were super calm today. So, it was ideal.

Between ammos, I used a jag and patch with 3 drops of Hoppe's followed by 2 dry patches. After that, it was straight to 5 rounds groups. The arrows indicate first to later groups. This will catch if it takes a while for the groups to settle or season.

Here's the way the target looked at the end.

The winner was some old Lapua Master. I will start with Lapua when I try to find my new ammo.

The dark horse was CCI SV. I think if it were weight sorted, it could be a contender.

I had high hopes for the Eley Black.

I used RWS Rifle Match in the rifle for the prone match. It did okay, but looks like it could be better.

I had some old Eley National Match to try. The rifle I used in college loved this stuff.

I had some Lapua Master from a different lot. It didn't appear to do as well, but the top two groups are still pretty good.

Finally, I tried the RWS again hoping that it would perform better after getting my technique down. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

I hope to try weight sorting the RWS since I have so much of it. I also plan to weight sort some of the CCI SV. For the price difference, it could be worth it for practices and potentially position matches.

After those two tests are complete, I hope to have access to 100 yards again for more testing at that distance.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Did you fire any foulers after cleaning and before the groups? Cannot see if you shot these off the shoulder or Bench? Were some of the wide shots the first after cleaning?

Sorry just seen you used a rest, when you settle on one Ammo try checking the Bedding and try different torques it can make a great difference. After all that scrubbing did you check for any oil under the Action?
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

I am going to have to try the action screws.

I have never checked them before. I have a friend that is going to let me borrow the tool.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I have been buying CCI SV by the case from TargetSport USA for less than 300 dollars. I have shot a lot of groups with it. What you will find is that about 1 in 5, or 1 in 10 rounds produce a flyer. Sometimes you will get no flyers in a group, in which case I have shot a 15 mm group over a bag with iron sights in my old 1407 action.

As I mostly train standing position and my scores are not very good, I have found this an excellent value my practice sessions.

Best,

Mike
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

http://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Here are a lot of differing viewpoints on the subject.

These guys shoot jacketed instead of just lead.