New to pcp

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lousyshooter

New to pcp

Post by lousyshooter »

I am purchasing a pcp pistol and need some info. I need to buy a tank but not sure about size. I shoot in my basement range, I do not compete and will probably not shoot much. If I buy a 20CF tank about how many cylinder fills would I get before getting the tank refilled. any suggestions? Thanks
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

alternatively think about buying a hand pump then. you can always refill only when you feel like shooting. no need to maintain the tank and getting it filled etc issues.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

There are a couple of things you should know about hand pumps. First, they are a lot of work. Second, you need to make sure that you buy a good one that has a filter and dryer. The dryer is critical - one of the nice points of a scuba tank is that the dive shop is scrupulous about drying the air. A properly set up pump is in the price range for a scuba tank. I bought a tank locally for ~$190 which includes a fill and 5 refills. That should take you a ways down the road especially if you "don't shoot much". Some shooters use a tank for their primary fill and then top off with a hand pump as the tank runs low, but the capital outlay may not be worthwhile for a single casual shooter.

There have been a couple of discussions on that topic on this forum if you search.

Try these:
viewtopic.php?t=30064&highlight=scuba
viewtopic.php?t=33263&highlight=scuba
viewtopic.php?t=30412&highlight=scuba

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go on Craigslist and buy a 200 BAR 80 to 100 cubic foot tank for around $50. With any luck it will be full and in date. If not, take it to a dive shop and and have them swap it out for you. They'll also be able to sell you the yoke you need to put your fill adapter on. All this for less than the price of a pump.

If you use it as you said, you'll probably go a year or more between fills.

If you have not yet purchased the pistol, forget it. Buy yourself a FWB65 or Pardini K58 or IZH46 and save yourself some headaches. All you'll need then is a tin of pellets. You'll also save a lot of money.
networkguy3

Post by networkguy3 »

Be prepared to wait a bit if you want a K58. There are not a lot of them around for sale. The FWB is a lot easer to find, and the IZH is readily available as either new or used.