Trigger Pressure Weight

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GaryD

Trigger Pressure Weight

Post by GaryD »

Don't have a go at me over this topic Guys and say that's it's all down to personal choice and feel.
But at what pressure to you lot set your trigger at, for First and Second stage pull
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Personally,
60g first stage + 60g second stage = 120g total.

K.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Probably not far off what Kenny said there for me. Maybe more like 50 and 50 though. I have to say, I regret playing with the trigger on my 1913 as it came from the factory. I thought it was a little heavy, but any lighter and I couldn't manage it consistently, especially under competition stress and pressure. I also need a decent length of a first stage for comfort's sake. Not like an old military rifle trigger or anything, but once I put the finger on the trigger I want to take up that first stage reasonably soon and need the room to make it smooth and consistent, then I need enough weight in the second stage to provide a definite stop and give me something to do when I want the gun to go off.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Mine is set to the heavier end of the spectrum. If it is set to the lighter weight I sometimes fire before I want. A "heavier" trigger allows me to put pressure on the trigger without it firing, and this minor pressure assures I don't "jump" on the pull. With a heavier setting I never think of the trigger pull, it is just automatic. Conversely a lighter pull made me concentrate on the trigger and that distracted my concentration on the sight picture. For me light settings are distracting. So in a nutshell I would suggest the lightest setting that does not require concentration or inadvertent shots.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

30 and 90 on my daughters air rifle
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

To be honest with you I expected you all to say that your pressures would be set at over 150 grams for the second stage.
Mine is set at about 100 grams (I think) which on times is too light
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Gary, I know of one highly ranked UK shooter who is reputed to have a VERY light (<30g) electronic single stage trigger.... I don't think many would want to be THAT light - especially when shooting in the wind where a sudden gust could buffet the rifle and cause the trigger to break before you want it to.

In recent cold conditions I was starting to think that 120g total might be a little too light. I seem to remember having a couple of premature releases due to lack of sensation in my trigger finger.

YMMV.

Ken.
GaryD

Post by GaryD »

Kenny,
I just read your post again and I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.
But I am too much of a gentlemen to pass a comment on it, Or am I !!!!
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

In the ballpark of 60g for the first stage, and around 100 or so for the second. I've gone up a bit over the years on the second stage, because I found myself mentally focusing on stopping just shy of the second stage, rather than the shot. Eliminated a lot of flyers that way.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

25-75 for me. The trigger came in at 50-50 and it was too prone to AD.