FWB 300 as starter air rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

vHoff

FWB 300 as starter air rifle?

Post by vHoff »

I'm not very familiar with rifle shooting (air pistol shooter, mostly), but would like to start. I see FWB 300 and 300s models advertised selling for <$500 and was wondering whether it was an appropriate starter. What are the differences between the 300 and 300s. Also, what kind of upper limit to scores can I reasonably expect? Can they both dry fire? Also, if they are worth buying, what should I look for/be wary of when I examine it?

Thanks!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Look instead for a Walther LGR, the gun that sent the FWB300 down in flames.

Same price. Cheaper rebuild (not that much anyway), not so adjustable as more modern guns, but just as accurate.
justadude

Post by justadude »

If you find one, the Walther LGR would be an excellent rifle, they are less common than the FWB 300.

The biggest difference between the 300 and 300S was the S model had a little more weight on the front of the barrel. This was done by the way the barrel was cut.

Neither the 300 or 300S would dry fire. This was a feature that did not show up until the late 1980s. If you fire a 300 or any of the old springer airguns without a pellet in the chamber with nothing to push against the piston it would slam against the front end of the cylinder. Eventually the impact would destroy the piston buffer.

Accuracy wise the 300 was very accurate but like all springers suffered from very slow shot development time, this placed a premium on impeccable follow through. I am just guessing a bit but I suppose a shooter could reasonably get into the 560s with an FWB 300 before the argument about the limitations of a springer airgun would really come into play with regard to limiting scores. I have to qualify that number as a scientific wild guess.

Are they worth buying? They are serviceable and FWB still provides parts support. One that has been freshly resealed is more desirable than one that has lived in a closet or attic for 25 years. Is it worth it to you depends on where you are with your shooting and what you want to get out of it. For the same money the Walther LGR was mentioned, for a few hundred more you can find a FWB 600 or 601 which is also a fine rifle.

'Dude