A couple of rearsight questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

silentfury214

A couple of rearsight questions

Post by silentfury214 »

Hello all,
I have a couple of rearsight questions.
1. In a rearsight iris, is it worth is to get polarization or colors (or both) for outdoor smallbore?
2. Has anyone used the Gehmann Compact rear sight (Champions Choice product #590L)? I need a rearsight for my smallbore rifle and i don't have a ton of money to spend. It costs $159 and it says it has .8mm bullet impact shift at 50m which seems to be the best that I could find. Also, I would like to purchase at Champions Choice because I can pick it up there, and I need it relatively soon.
Thank you!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I think you will get a number of different answers / opinions...

I had always thought adjustable rearsight iris wasn't a great idea, but under certain light conditions my rearsight seems way too small - so I need to be able to open it up so the visual image I see is the same. Those conditions are sun shining in your face - which is not common on any ranges and certainly shouldn't happen on international ranges.

So back to your original question - polarisers are great if you get excessive glare. Filters are a personal thing, but may increase the apparent contrast between the bull and the white, so all I can suggest is try it and see.

Rob.
efoleyjr

Re: A couple of rearsight questions

Post by efoleyjr »

silentfury214 wrote:Hello all,
I have a couple of rearsight questions.
1. In a rearsight iris, is it worth is to get polarization or colors (or both) for outdoor smallbore?
2. Has anyone used the Gehmann Compact rear sight (Champions Choice product #590L)? I need a rearsight for my smallbore rifle and i don't have a ton of money to spend. It costs $159 and it says it has .8mm bullet impact shift at 50m which seems to be the best that I could find. Also, I would like to purchase at Champions Choice because I can pick it up there, and I need it relatively soon.
Thank you!
Yes. The best one out there is the centra 1.8 comp. or anschutz 9787-S, they are the same but the anschutz is cheaper at champion shooter supply. You will not need the filter a lot but when you do they are a life saver. I have tried them all and these are the best. Save the money of trying the cheaper one and spend a little more to start with the one you will end up with.
Ed