Who is Mr Martynov

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dontshootcritters

Who is Mr Martynov

Post by dontshootcritters »

Most people know who the #1 golfer used to be,alot of people know who M Jordon used to play for,most people know the the greatest white wine in the world comes fro NZ,some people know the recipe for the batter on KFC....but I can find virtually nothing on the worlds greatest prone shooter!
Albert T

Maybe....

Post by Albert T »

because he speaks Russion only...??
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Albert,

he does speak a little english.

The answer is because shooters, even double Olympic medallists, double-World Champions, and seven-time world record holders don't make front page news.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

Martynov is from Belarus. I watched him shoot at the Olympic 3P in '96.
10_9kid

Post by 10_9kid »

Mr. Martynov is a great shooter. To me not because of his winning record, but because of his winning without boastfulness of celebrity. I do love this sport because I can approach an Olympic medalist and not be pushed away while in other sports I would like to see if I could sit and learn to play lets say basketball from Lebron James. I am pretty sure My attempt would fail unlike the kind mentor ship I could learn from a competitive shooter.
dontshootcritters

I know who he is and have heard him referred to as the greatest prone shooter to ever walk this earth! He is without doubt a true champion in every sense of the word.I was just wondering if anyone had heard of anything that had been written about his rise to world shooting champion.He is surely the odds on favourite to be standing on the top step in London when the shooting is over.

Best of luck to every one all the same.It does seem to be a sport that doesnt have any real dirt bags at the top.And yes I agree with the last posting.I have had some great p/m from a couple of the top shooters in the world re questions that I have asked.Always a very nice reply from people that obviously have alot going on.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

If you want to see him in action, check out youtube. Plenty of videos of him as well as others shooting prone. Search for Smallbore prone, ISSF Prone, ISSF World Cup Prone and things like that. Probably won't find him by name.

Funny a guy at his level still using a wood stocked Anschutz. Just shows you don't need all the glitz of the aluminum stocks.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

He also uses a standard length barrel with no bloop tube.
bugman1955

Mr.Martynov

Post by bugman1955 »

Also, no tuner. He more than likely does not torque his rifle either.
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

To shoot at the Olympic level, one absolutely needs a rifle that groups well; one absolutely needs a rifle that fits.

Mr. Martynov has such a rifle. It's not as though his gun shoots like crap and he telepathically wills every bullet into the center. I'm sure he's as obsessed about his equipment as every top shooter out there, however threadbare it may appear.
PCU

Post by PCU »

Note that he is one of few left using old type slings. Also a great right handed shooter who is left eye dominant.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

bluetentacle wrote:To shoot at the Olympic level, one absolutely needs a rifle that groups well; one absolutely needs a rifle that fits.

Mr. Martynov has such a rifle. It's not as though his gun shoots like crap and he telepathically wills every bullet into the center. I'm sure he's as obsessed about his equipment as every top shooter out there, however threadbare it may appear.
Very good point. Martynov found equipment that works many years ago, given his successes his confidence in it must be pretty high.

If he needs a new barrel I can't imagine Anschutz not reaching in the cupboard for something a bit special.
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

About the sling. I read that it is made of some special material which the russians will not divulge. Would love to have one.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

bugman1955 wrote:About the sling. I read that it is made of some special material which the russians will not divulge. Would love to have one.
You mean canvas webbing? Not so much special as unusual.
nester

Post by nester »

Here I've quickly found 2 interviews (in Russian) - the 2nd one is 2 months ago:
http://www.shooting-ua.com/books/book_83.htm
http://www.mst.by/ru/smi-about-us/zapov ... _i_65.html

I might try (if time allows..) to translate.

The main idea can be described in last question and last paragraph:
"- With what feelings and thoughts you will go to London?
- Hopefully without any thoughts.
I understand what he meant. The perfect shooter. Who can think nothing - not about medal, nor points, who can completely disconnect the brain and just shoot. It's like: toggle the switch, hear a click and win and Olympic medal. Without wasting words."
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

I know it looks like a web sling but the russians are secretive about the material.
bruce

Post by bruce »

bugman1955 wrote:I know it looks like a web sling but the russians are secretive about the material.

Belarusians.
dontshootcritters

Why the heck do we care about what his sling is made of??It can be made from rusty barb wire and dried bird crap for all I care.What does it matter?Its a non stretch material that supports his rifle
bugman1955

Post by bugman1955 »

He is also left eye dominate but shoots right handed.
melina

Post by melina »

And word is he shot Olymp in the London World Cup?