New guy looking for gun advice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Goldy

New guy looking for gun advice

Post by Goldy »

I recently moved to an area that has a competative pistol group and decided to join just to see if its something that I am interested in and I'm having a blast so far shooting bullseye. I had a chance to shoot free pistol and I found that I enjoy free pistol much more than bullseye and was wondering how you go about buying a FP gun.

Can you guys recommend any brands that would be good for a starter? I really just have no idea how to pick one since its not like you can go test drive a TOZ or a hamerli to see how it fits.
Last edited by Goldy on Fri May 04, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I would try a few, keeping in mind that grip on FP is very unique to the user. Weight , balance and ease of use are important. But getting one that points well is premium. You can't go wrong with a TOZ the most popular FP ever made.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Thanks Greg. How do you go about trying them? Are shooters receptive to beginers asking to try their gun?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I have found that to be a case, most free pistol shooters are happy to have company. It is a small circle in the shooting world. I thought there was an active group in Salt Lake City. I also think Sil Lyra has a school in Utah for shooters. He has an ad in the USA Shooting magazine. He gets good reviews.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There is no other gun so uniquely personalized to fit a shooter as a Free Pistol. Therefore, it's difficult to tell much about one when handling it.

You can usually find a TOZ or old Pardini at a fairly low price and then make it suit you. A few years with it and you'll be ready to make another selection, if needed.

I think you'll find enough shooters in SLC to give you the info you need.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Goldy wrote:Thanks Greg. How do you go about trying them? Are shooters receptive to beginers asking to try their gun?
I used to let everyone handle my FP and try the electronic trigger. The problem is, no one who doesn't shoot FP knows how light the trigger really is. I had my trigger pulled back to the grip so many times that the small aluminum mount broke on my Hammerli 162. I no longer let any uneducated trigger fingers put their hand in my grip and I hold the trigger finger of everyone else until they realize their finger is in contact with the trigger and the pistol already "fired."
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

agreed, but he said he had shot a free pistol before. Sound advice FP
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I was able to rent a TOZ from a local club so I get to use that for a while and see what I think of it.