"Ignore List"

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

"Ignore List"

Post by toddinjax »

I belong to a jazz guitar forum where you can easily place a troll or combative member on your own personal "ignore list". When that person posts, you see only their position in the thread, but not the content of their post. I know nothing of web page design but I'm hoping maybe we could enable such a function here?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'm not certain about the particular flavour of PHP being used for this PHPBB, but generally speaking this is simply an option the forum administrator is able to toggle should they wish to spend a few minutes looking into the board options on the admin control panel. I know such options are available on a tech forum where I was a moderator for 7 years... technically still a mod there, but it's a dead forum. Perhaps you could contact forum admin here?
Spencer

Re: "Ignore List"

Post by Spencer »

toddinjax wrote:I belong to a jazz guitar forum where you can easily place a troll or combative member on your own personal "ignore list". When that person posts, you see only their position in the thread, but not the content of their post. I know nothing of web page design but I'm hoping maybe we could enable such a function here?
Amen!
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Looks like they're running around version 2.0.18 (old)... not sure if that old of a version had the personal ignore lists.

I'd use it if it were available, but there are only a couple of people here who post on the wrong end of the Signal to Noise ratio.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Spencer wrote:
toddinjax wrote:I belong to a jazz guitar forum where you can easily place a troll or combative member on your own personal "ignore list". When that person posts, you see only their position in the thread, but not the content of their post. I know nothing of web page design but I'm hoping maybe we could enable such a function here?
Amen!
Spencer, I will be happy to use this feture as well.
Instead, to add a new feature as a Competitive Olympic pistol we can just ignore recreational publications. ;)
Last edited by Russ on Mon May 07, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Amen![/quote]
Spencer, I will be happy to use this future as well.
Instead, to add a new feature as a Competitive Olympic pistol we can just ignore recreational publications. ;)[/quote]

I rest my case!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

How many threads do you guys all need to go at one another?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hey there, I wasn't going at anyone! Not here at least. ;)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I know I bug a few who "can't handle the truth". Heh, heh, heh!!!
crocan

Post by crocan »

Hi Russ ,
Could you please contact me privately , I would like to join your training program .My current score is 520-530 , and my goal is to be at 550+/-5 before next Canadian shooting season (Nov.2012) .Hope I have enough time to reach my goal .
Rudy
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thank you Rudy.
I do not know how to shot 550. I will teach you how to shot 565-570, if you do not mind. ;)
Send me information about yourself, by e-mail. How far you are from Detroit (Troy) area Michigan?
superstring

Post by superstring »

I guess I have a strange sense of humour, but the way this thread has gone strikes me as rather amusing! ;-)
v76

Post by v76 »

Haha. That's actually quite funny. I'm sure he meant to use the PM button...
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Why is ignoring people so hard?

Your mouse has a little wheel, learn to use it.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

JamesH wrote:Why is ignoring people so hard?

Your mouse has a little wheel, learn to use it.
I agree. I have my own mental ignore list.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I know that I often will start reading a post without bothering to note who the author is. Trust me, the ignore list is a great function. No one HAS to use it, the moderators don't have to censure anyone, no one's "free speech" is violated and best of all, if someone in particular has proven to you over time that their contributions to conversations are not wiorth reading, you don't have to see them.
On the guitar forum I mention, there is a member who consistently posts stupid comments, in the midst of very serious discussions. This forum is filled with passionate, hard practicing musicians wanting to share information, teach, learn, expand horizons, etc. In the middle of a thread about nondiatonic harmonic substitution, he'll chime in with a comment about the color of a celebrated guitarists shirt. I pressed a few keys and now I don't have to read it then "edit" it out; I don't have to see it at all. I think the same option is needed here. I've seen other forums dry up from a small handfull of combative souls who were hell bent on injecting their political views into discussions about roundwound vs flatwound strings.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It would sometimes be a useful feature, but then so would the ability of some folks not to have to comment on every thread multiple times. Maybe limit folks to one or two replies to a thread, or at least allow others to have their say. It gets to the stage when replying to stuff becomes tedious when all most people are trying to do is be helpful.

Rob.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"trying to do is be helpful" vs. to provide help.
Do you know Rob, what the difference is?
Russ

Post by Russ »

The difference is 10 years of try and error approach. Is any value for 10 years? (just about health conditions)

"I think so, it took me over ten years to get educated."
viewtopic.php?t=34682

Sorry, I can’t resist. ;)
v76

Post by v76 »