Anschutz firing pin spring replacement, routine maintenance?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

KLankford

Anschutz firing pin spring replacement, routine maintenance?

Post by KLankford »

Have been shooting my Anschutz 54 for years and was just wondering if replacing the firing pin spring is done at any interval during the life of the rifle (or owner), say every 20,000 rounds?
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Yes they should replaced, and there is a debate on time. A current shooter that is going to the Olympics said every two cases or so. And I guess that is cheap given the price of ammo. Springs are about 8.00, so it is not a big deal. I use Wolf.
I had a 54MS start having misfires, I tried ammo, then springs solved the problem. Springs are said to solve horizontal stringing.
http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26% ... ID80/dID14
Cumbrian

Post by Cumbrian »

Don't know if my recent experience is relevant or helpful but I'd be grateful for comments on it, so here it is anyway. I changed the firing pin spring on my 1813 (new spring bought from the UK Anschutz importers Frank Dyke) after a one or two disconcerting misfires and found that the trigger became heavier - previously it had been almost too light but on the whole beneficially so. On examination the two springs appear to be different: the old one lighter in build and tension (I can't measure the two aspects precisely so words will have to do). I am sure that the old one was the Anschutz original from 30 years back. Have Anschutz changed their specification or their supplier? It must be said that with the new spring I have experienced no misfires but I'm not entirely happy with the feel of the trigger now. As a final thought, how many misfires, as a percentage, should one expect anyway even with good quality - but not top notch - ammunition, say Eley Match or RWS Special Match?
sandy22

Post by sandy22 »

Cumbrian wrote: As a final thought, how many misfires, as a percentage, should one expect anyway even with good quality - but not top notch - ammunition, say Eley Match or RWS Special Match?
None.