Progressive reloading press

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TomAmlie

Progressive reloading press

Post by TomAmlie »

Hi everyone - I'm about to take the plunge on a progressive reloading press. In addition to .223 and .308 I also want to be able to load accurately for .32 SWL. With such a small powder charge I assume that having the most accurate powder metering system is critical. Does anyone have any strong opinions (good or bad) for Dillon v. Hornady v. Lee?

Thanks,
Tom
GOVTMODEL

Progressive Reloader

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Started out with a Lee Pro 1000. Upside: It works. Downside: The primer system is very erratic in operation. Bought a second one; same experience as first one. Gave both away as I couldn't bring myself to accept money in return.

Purchased a Dillon RL550- no regrets.

Purchased a Dillon SDB for hardball only; no regrets.

That's the total of my experience.
Barry G

Post by Barry G »

I have a Dillon SDB with the extra small powder bar for .32 long and it meters W-231 1.7 gr perfectly.
Ernie Rodriguez

Reloading Press

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have both Hornady LNL,Dillon 650 and a number of SDB presses. The Hornady LNL is used with the 32 S&WL because I can use a pistol insert for the powder measure. It accurately can throw 2 grs of powder or LESS with this pistol insert drum type. Cheers.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I'm a big fan of Dillon products. My Square Deal, 550, and 650 have all worked great. The couple times I need parts, Dillon's customer service was amazing, despite living on a military base overseas. They say they have a no b.s. lifetime warranty and they mean it.

If you're reloading rifle and pistol calibers on the same press and don't need huge volume, I'd look at the 550; if you do want huge volume, I'd pay the extra for a 650.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I'm happy with my RL550, its versatile and easy to use - I just wish it could self index. It doesn't so if you have a brain fade or interruption and can't remember if you indexed it then you need to check - which is straightforward.

The micro bar dispenses .32 loads well enough.

The 650 is good for high volume but not so great for low volume due to the primer feed system - the RL550 and Square deal only dispense a primer if a case is present, the 650 will spit them on the floor.

Lee make good budget equipment but no-one I know who had a Lee progressive kept it very long.