practice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:"I'm really sorry Russ, but there is nothing we can do here for that."

Stay positive Gerard , your time will come. :)
My time will come... to perform male enhancement surgery for insecure Russian immigrants? I really doubt that Russ.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Why payment is important to you Gerard, what is really bothering you and Greg?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Your medical records, Gerard is out of topic. Stay positive my friend and listen music , it will calm you down.
Are you Native American by any chance?
I hear proud in your voice! :)
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Your medical records, Gerard is out of topic. Stay positive my friend and listen music , it will calm you down.
Yours is the money obsession Russ, I'm just reminding you that in this life, nothing is free, including advertising. I haven't been to a doctor for any reason in over 20 years, so again you (deliberately) misinterpret. My father did that too, for light humour about the English language, as he was Dalmatian. Got to go shoot now Russ, inside a metal building, no cellular reception. Hope you play nicely and have fun while I'm gone.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Worries of my payment cannot affect your performance, I am just hoping. :)
Russ

Post by Russ »

Before we will discuss payment issue, we have to establish healthy environment and attitude to coaching or consulting service here. Make sure that audience is ready to take next step in performance and accept reality that personalized training at least acceptable way to achieve success in less “expensive” way. (By assumption that money is not only expenses .)
Last edited by Russ on Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

yep
Last edited by Greg Derr on Fri May 04, 2012 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

You fail to answer simple questions, Greg, your application as a coach went to the recycling bin. Next time, I hope.
Plese stay positive, my friend.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Come on guys. Knock it off please. Let's move on....
Russ

Post by Russ »

I am OK with that. Let’s move on.
ronpistolero

Post by ronpistolero »

Yes please. Stick with the subject of shooting and not personality bashing. Please.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I'd earlier mentioned supplying a series of 5-shot targets shot at last night's club session - an admittedly uninvited response to his invitation for another member here to do the same. Since he flatly denied interest in this until after I shoot a national, I didn't bother with the 5 shots per target. Still, in the spirit of this thread I'll post a target from last evening and a paper from this afternoon as a point of discussion.

This was my best result last evening, shot in the middle of 7 10-shot targets. As I'd done a heavy dumbells workout the night before I expected my almost-recovered shoulder to be uncooperative, and unsurprisingly the last few targets tapered off; 92, 90, 85, as the shoulder got tired. Still, the first 6 targets totalled 545 so not too unpleasant a result. For this target scored at 96 the first 3 shots were along the upper 10, overlapping. My follow-through for each of these three was awful, the pistol jumping to left or right at least to the edge of the paper. But apparently the pellets got out in time, before these flinching reactions to shooting. For the next 7 shots I focused almost exclusively on follow-through, which cost me a little in consistency but prevented any bad accidental shots.

Today, almost following Greg's advice, I shot only 1 target at home. As per another thread here on front sight placement for Korean shooters at the recent London cup match I had adjusted my front sight 1cm (the limits of my Pardini's sight unit) forward of the front shroud, and wanted to test this. The adjustment puts my pistol's total length to 419mm, just within the box limit for competition. I was shooting at a felt pen dot the size of a pellet.

The first two shots showed my usual reluctance to focus, as my eye seems to take a while to become sufficiently subtle in its accuracy before settling in and really watching the place I'm wanting to see. The rest I managed to deliver within about 2 seconds each at most, with reasonably long follow-through - as I made a note last night of the things I'd done right and the thing I wished to work on next time. I've put a note on my first target for tomorrow, to remind me to focus fully on follow-through for that session, probably of 100 shots or so plus an equal amount of dry fire.

Any suggestions from other shooters? I'm especially interested in how to avoid the odd wild shot, those which occur just at the moment of firing even when not holding too long and not feeling tired. Is it only a matter of further refining awareness of the need to put the gun down, to notice this need on a much shorter time scale? I know that through years of training martial artists are often able to greatly improve their reactive precision, quickly moving in the correct direction in ways which relative novices do not perceive as being possible.

This sort of thing strikes me as being tied to myelination, as outlined in Daniel Coyle's 'The Talent Code' - http://thetalentcode.com/book/ - and so is most probably something which will come in time... but being an impatient sort of fellow I'm wondering about shortcuts to accelerate this particular solution. At the beginning of my shooting 15 months ago I'd sometimes twitch as much as 2 feet upwards of the target, putting 3 or holes in the drywall, but these days it's down to 2 or 3 rings for the most part, the odd one going 5 or 6 rings up, some to the sides or down but not so much. Any drills to help eliminate last-moment twitches?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Daniel Coyle's 'The Talent Code'

"The concepts presented in The Talent Code: seek out sincere experienced instructors who believe in you, work hard, practice regularly, patiently and carefully with discipline and passion and as your skills improve, consistently aim higher."

Good point :)
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Gerard, great target. I would just add a few things, then let some other chime in for you.

The "wild" shots could be a few things, maybe spasm from working out is a cause or a simple "snatched" shot. This is a result of desire to shoot the shot overtaking the sight alignment and trigger control process. It happens. Just keep thinking about the good shots and the less than good shots will start to fade away.

Two things. Are you dry firing before shooting at targets? You may be shooting too many shots in training. I would cut back to 75 or so.

Good Work!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Sure, I was just saying I might shoot up to 100 tomorrow. My training routines range widely in number of shots both dry and live, as well as in ratio between these. Lately I've been doing a lot of sessions where I'll shoot no more than 30 shots per day, sometimes just one 10-shot target like today, and maybe between 20 and 50 dry fire shots beforehand (though today I took only 3, just didn't want to push it after last night). Some sessions might be 100 dry shots - not counted, just shooting for over an hour at something like match rate. Basically I train according to how I'm feeling, shooting more if I feel good, less if tired. Used to shoot 12 or more targets at the 2 hour weekly club sessions, where now it's always 7, maybe 8.

I usually dry fire at least a few times before live, whatever the session type. Last night only a few dry, but lots and lots of stretching. On average if I'm doing a live fire session I'll take at least 10 and sometimes many more dry shots first to get the kinks out of my eye and arm.

The pulls to the side I mentioned weren't snatched shots, though I am guilty of those at times - see my comments elsewhere in the 'sniping' thread. These ones felt more like I was fine until the trigger snapped and reached the limit of over-travel, with the pull happening after it was relevant... but close enough in timing that I was surprised to see the holes in the 10, not in the 8 ring to the side.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Daniel Coyle's 'The Talent Code'

"The concepts presented in The Talent Code: seek out sincere experienced instructors who believe in you, work hard, practice regularly, patiently and carefully with discipline and passion and as your skills improve, consistently aim higher."

Good point :)
I don't doubt your sincerity as an instructor Russ. The trouble comes in the presentation. Perhaps you would consider seeking an expert trainer in matters of public speaking, promotional work, sales? I suspect that such a relationship with a skilled instructor might be of benefit to you in both your roles, as a real estate agent and as a consultant to athletes. I am being sincere in this comment Russ, it is not intended in any way as an attack, as it seems to me much of the hostility in these threads could so easily be avoided were the confrontational and abusive comments be turned into more useful, trustworthy commentary.
v76

Post by v76 »

Great shooting! I think it could be a good time to try these ideas - maybe Haru would like to collaborate: http://toz35.blogspot.ca/2011/05/muscle ... -shot.html

And a few drills that may be of interest: http://www.pistolnz.org.nz/pdf/traindrills.pdf

And on the topic of weight training - post-workout nutrition and recovery is actually the most important part in your training regimen. Do daily stretching and let your shoulder recover at the very least 3-4 days before soliciting it and at best, a week. Less than that is counter-productive, IMO; and even more, considering that it has been injured. Visiting a kinesiologist or physiotherapist could be of great benefit. I'll ask my friend for a few exercices next time I see him.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"I am being sincere in this comment Russ, it is not intended in any way as an attack"
Nice :)
How about your earlier contributions? They are not sincere, so there is no point to read them. Is it correct? :(
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:"I am being sincere in this comment Russ, it is not intended in any way as an attack"
Nice :)
How about your earlier contributions? They are not sincere, so there is no point to read them. Is it correct? :(
Not correct. I sincerely detest much of your writing both in content and intention, as you have been blatantly hostile on so many occasions. I sincerely dislike such nonsense, and respond to it honestly, if not always in a kind manner.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

v76 wrote:Great shooting! I think it could be a good time to try these ideas - maybe Haru would like to collaborate: http://toz35.blogspot.ca/2011/05/muscle ... -shot.html
Thanks Victor. I'd read Anatolii Piddubnyi's blog there before but will re-read it as it's been almost a year and memory fades. I do recall finishing it and feeling quite thoroughly enchanted with his way of clarifying things and his depth of insight as such an experienced coach.

I do try to limit workouts to what will allow proper recovery. The weight sessions are scattered through the calendar like the shooting sessions in terms of intensity and duration; each according to currently assessed stability and general well-being. I have no desire to re-injure the shoulder through careless workouts.