practice

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Russ

Post by Russ »

Greg Derr wrote:Well let's see the OTC provided a bed and food, travel to and from the airport. The USAS provided coaches targets and ranges plus gun storage. Did you offer to provide that when you solicited shooters join you on the beach in Mexico. Most likely not. The level of professional training and support at the OTC is hardly something that one individual can compete with as a consultant. The group was about 20 shooters male and female. Maybe you should raise funds and sponsor a few shooters?

I also believe the AMU will send instructors to local clubs provided they pick up the costs of travel and lodging. Since the AMU is a government funded unit they do not charge for coaching.

Th elite shooters at the OTC also volunteered their time. Not bad if you ask me, proven winners with insite and knowledge spreading that knowledge freely.
You are asking me to share my system online for free. If they are found by the OTC and government, let them talk on TT.
Last edited by Russ on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

No just pointing out all the opportunities for proven training methods that are available. I have no clue what you do in training, so it goes unproven in my mind. Sorry I think if money is an issue as you say for shooters, they should go with proven training methods by proven coaches. The idea of investing time and money in a secret "system" is not a good investment. Would anyone buy a pistol from a yet to be proven maker without even a photo or let alone holding it in their hand? Probably not.

Back on topic: Gerard or anyone still following this twisted thread, How many training sessions per month, practice sessions per month and matches per month do you manage to get?
Russ

Proven training methods

Post by Russ »

ISSF Shooting Olympic Test concluded in London
viewtopic.php?t=34576

Proven training methods:
"At the end of the event, it has been the Russian Federation to place a top of the overall medal standings, with a total of six individual medals, including two Gold, and four Silver medals"

I have all the experience and coaching credentials from Russia.
I am also an NRA certified pistol instructor too :)

Only one method is proven, is the final success!
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Did you coach any of the shooters?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Yes, I do consulting.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Greg Derr wrote:Back on topic: Gerard or anyone still following this twisted thread, How many training sessions per month, practice sessions per month and matches per month do you manage to get?
my approximate current per month breakdown:

- training session almost daily, at least 20 days, with sessions being anything from 15 minutes of dry fire to 2 hours of dry and live fire in various proportions, after about half of which I take the time to make shooting journal entries - these sessions are often very compressed, shorter than I used to do but with better focus

- practice sessions this year have been about 4 or 5 per month, which is to say this is the number of times where I am attempting to simulate a match state of mind and shooting for score, after a thorough physical and shooting warm-up, after which I make detailed journal entries and record my scores in a spreadsheet with a graph to chart progress visually

- matches so far; only 2, over the course of a year, as this is all that's been available to me - my working and family life keep me very busy so matches have so far been a bit of a luxury, though this is something I will gradually expand up to about 4 or 5 matches per year

Today I shot a couple of targets, stretched, thought about it a while, then shot this target with 31 (your odd number suggestion) pellets. The large number of ridiculously wild shots is owing to yesterday's shooting session; my brother and I took the kids out to a mountain and I probably shot over 400 pellets at various ranges over 4 hours. I was, and remain, tired, and as my right shoulder is almost but still not quite recovered from last summer's rotator cuff injury it tends to show in fliers. The target is scaled correctly for 7metres range, as it is usually not safe to shoot 10metres at home. The pellets remain where they land as I shoot into duct seal in a steel trap, making scoring quite easy when only shooting 5 or 10 pellets per target.

My analysis:

- The shots in the white above were due to pure tiredness towards the end of the target, sudden twitches and failure to follow through occuring because I failed to discipline myself and put the gun down after too long a hold. Most of the 8's scattered around were smaller examples of the same thing.

- The vertical cluster on the right were at the beginning; I had just further modified the trigger on my K10 to increase the slope about 3degrees outboard, and after those 4 shots saw that it was too much and I was pulling to the right as a result so I adjusted the trigger about 2degrees back (it is now at 20degrees rake to the right of the frame, which places it at 90degrees to the bone of my index finger - I have a large hand and my finger is coming down from above the trigger, lightly brushing the frame all the time, making me think I should carve away a bit of aluminum here) and continued shooting, with better results.

As most of my targets lately have been scorable at 90 or better, averaging 92.5% overall scoring, with an average of 1 x 8 per target and the rest 9's or 10's, and as my last few scored sessions have all shown over 20 x 10's per 60 shots, it seems I am resolving at least part of my focus issue though there is obviously still a long way to go. My short term goal is to shoot above 94% at the match in Kamloops, BC, the second weekend of June. It's a small match with just one round of 60 shots, nothing so well orchestrated as our local Richmond club matches, but it's experience. I am looking forward to the pressure of shooting not just the one round, which places extra pressure on us all, but also of shooting at 8 in the morning which is something I've never had the opportunity to do. My wife would not put up with that kind of noise so early.

So Greg, got any feedback based on this obviously tiny sample and set of conditions?
peterz

Post by peterz »

Gerard,

Congratulations!

- ps
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Yes, I do consulting.
But Russ, do you not consider it somewhat arrogant to take credit for the Russian team shooters' results in London? Or are you saying that you do consulting directly for Vladimir Isakov towards his silver in AP? Or for any of the other silver and gold medal winning Russian shooters? Would you care to answer this question directly, rather than with the very safe and indirect answer of 'yes, I do consulting'?

As for your earlier comment, saying that half of your posts here have been unpleasant interactions with me... I rather doubt your statistics but will agree that we have had at least a few dozen disagreements in various threads.

I've been advised numerous times by PM and by email, from a number of members here including one former student of yours, that I should completely avoid discussing anything with you for the sake of my own peace of mind. They've described you as anything from a 'difficult personality type' to a 'troll,' and as everyone should know, the old rule on the internet is 'do not feed the trolls.' I've tried a couple of times, but keep finding myself so fascinated by the reams of contradictions and pseudo-mysteries you present in your monologues (and yes, a lot of the threads you start DO begin with VERY long contributions, so please reflect on that when attacking my verbosity as you so often do) that I cannot help myself, I simply feel compelled to respond.

And besides, shouldn't everyone adopt a troll? It's kind of fun, and there's always the hope of some sort of common ground being arrived at some day. Russ, you and I have come close to that common ground a couple of times. We've made peace for a while here and there. And I do genuinely hope that this theme continues, as I persist in believing that you are capable of behaving in a way more in keeping with forum etiquette, and even of finding within yourself the generosity of spirit to share more of your undoubted wisdom on the subject of shooting well.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Gerard- looks good. I have to get some .45 out tonight, but will examine what you have posted and give you some of my thoughts- no charge as always.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

peterz wrote:Gerard,

Congratulations!

- ps
Thanks Peter. It was a bit of a hard lump to swallow, making myself post a target with so many bad shots on it when I know I've been shooting better than that lately, but honesty is important. And a big part of any serious shooter's training has to do with physical strain and recovery. I have been right at the limits with my weight training lately as I push to build core strength and rebuild my shoulder for competition, and will continue with this training as well as running and cycling. The weights I will begin to taper in mid-May so as to make sure there is no instability in the early June match, then I'll hit the weights again after that towards even better stability should I be able to attend the nationals in August.
Russ

Post by Russ »

"do you not consider it somewhat arrogant to take credit for the Russian team shooters' results in London."

Not at all. ;)
I have the same credentials as a Top ISSF coaches from Russia. I am graduated from Moscow University as a coach in Target shooting, as many leading ISSF athletes and coaches from Russia. I have highest-ranking status in Russia (MSMK). All my teammates are in a charge of Olympic coaching positions in those countries. I am proud to have this experience in my life and strong roots to my alma mater.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:"do you not consider it somewhat arrogant to take credit for the Russian team shooters' results in London."

Not at all. ;)
I have the same credentials as a Top ISSF coaches from Russia. I am graduated from Moscow University as a coach in Target shooting, as many leading ISSF athletes and coaches from Russia. I have highest-ranking status in Russia (MSMK). All my teammates are in a charge of Olympic coaching positions in those countries. I am proud to have this experience in my life and strong roots to my alma mater.
So your answer is 'no' then, you did not coach, nor did you consult for any of the medal-winning Russian team members shooting at the ISSF World Cup last weekend in London. Thanks for clearing that up.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Gerard, As I said before, I am not interested to discuss with you any topics. If Greg is willing to help you improve, try his methods. I will be happy for you guys.
What makes you worry about London today, my friend, you have no guts to come to your own National as you mentioned initially?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Gerard, As I said before, I am not interested to discuss with you any topics. If Greg is willing to help you improve, try his methods. I will be happy for you guys.
What makes you worry about London today, my friend, you have no guts to come to your own National as you mentioned initially?
That is utterly dishonest Russ, and blatantly unfair. I have many musicians in the greater Vancouver area who are begging for pieces of my time, and I only have so much time to give but I really want to help. If I turn too many down they will have to suffer with inferior sounding instruments or even borrow lesser instruments to avoid further problems with their own, as these clients will not take their most precious possessions to inferior shops only to have them damaged by luthiers who lack conscience. It is a difficult scene here in Vancouver in my trade; there are about 8 full-time luthiers, and only 2 of these are people who do responsible work. The rest tend to over-charge for irresponsible, non-archival methods of 'repair' which frequently involve destruction which cannot be undone. They make bad decisions. I care about music, so I offer as much of my time to musicians as I am able while still being a responsible father and husband.

If I can get to Alberta, if I am able to get enough work done ahead of time so that such a trip is practical, I will shoot at the nationals. I said this already. Your statement is absurd and blatantly insulting. Grow up.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thank you for the image of your performance. It is clear to everyone what kind of mistakes they can obtain by reading your wordy posts.
Please be less emotional. Two days ago you was uncertain about attendance, and today you become so abscessed with accidental workload. :(

"Gerard Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:49 pm Post subject:

Wow again. Not being overly argumentative Russ, but I've attended two local matches so far and the total cost including entry fee ($60 each time - 180 shots total over 3 matches on 2 days, each set up and officiated to full ISSF standards), bus fare (about $6 per day, so $12 per match) and pellets (about $5 worth or less) was about $77 per match. I'm attending a less lofty match (just one ISSF-standard 60 shot round) in a city about 250km away in June, and the costs including entry fee, hotel for 2 nights and the return Greyhound bus fare plus miscellaneous expenses will come to about $350. Shooting at the Canadian Pistol Championships in August would run to about $500, if I have the time to attend. It's going to be a very busy summer for my work, but I'll try to make it for the experience. I don't think your price estimate is very accurate, unless you're talking about travel to other countries or luxury hotels when you get to a match. Flights, if needed, can often be had very cheaply with a bit of planning ahead.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Thank you for the image of your performance. It is clear to everyone what kind of mistakes they can obtain by reading your wordy posts.
Please be less emotional.

"Gerard Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:49 pm Post subject:

Wow again. Not being overly argumentative Russ, but I've attended two local matches so far and the total cost including entry fee ($60 each time - 180 shots total over 3 matches on 2 days, each set up and officiated to full ISSF standards), bus fare (about $6 per day, so $12 per match) and pellets (about $5 worth or less) was about $77 per match. I'm attending a less lofty match (just one ISSF-standard 60 shot round) in a city about 250km away in June, and the costs including entry fee, hotel for 2 nights and the return Greyhound bus fare plus miscellaneous expenses will come to about $350. Shooting at the Canadian Pistol Championships in August would run to about $500, if I have the time to attend. It's going to be a very busy summer for my work, but I'll try to make it for the experience. I don't think your price estimate is very accurate, unless you're talking about travel to other countries or luxury hotels when you get to a match. Flights, if needed, can often be had very cheaply with a bit of planning ahead.
Which mistakes Russ? Again, your communication skills (not your grammar, I never pick on your grammar) could use work. I said, as you quoted, that I already have a very busy summer schedule in my work, but that I will attend the nationals as a competitor if I am able to make the time. What mistake? What is unclear to you? And why did you choose to insult me by suggesting that I was a coward for not planning to go, when I clearly plan to go if it is possible?
Russ

Post by Russ »

"I was a coward "
Who told you that?

You just recognized that $500 with attendance will not do any good for your future progress. You just not willing to admit reality, because you believe that “more competitions is good for your progress.” ;)
I said, it is NOT! It is very expensive way to learn.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote:Thank you for the image of your performance. It is clear to everyone what kind of mistakes they can obtain by reading your wordy posts.
Please be less emotional. Two days ago you was uncertain about attendance, and today you become so abscessed with accidental workload. :(
Firstly, is it only me who finds these multiple-edits of Russ' funny? I just quoted him, and when my post, which took all of 90 seconds to write, refreshes, his post is different! It's hilarious, and disingenuous to say the least. Please Russ, a bit more honesty about what you say. If you must edit, there is always the 'preview' button so you won't embarrass yourself.

Secondly; Two days ago I stated, as you yourself quoted and as anyone can go and see I did not edit (as you usually do), that I was going to try to attend if I could make it work but that I have a lot of work to do this spring and summer. This is not an 'accidental workload' but the way of my life for the last few years. I have many hundreds of musicians as clients and they are calling and emailing constantly to see if I can fit in repairs to their instruments. This week alone I have turned down 4 $1,000+ jobs because they were of a non-essential nature, work which can be pushed back to the fall or next winter without interfering with the musicians' performances. This schedule is the very conscious result of trying to get as much work as I can do, done, in a limited time. Life is short. I am a skilled and in-demand repairer and maker of instruments (there is already a lineup for my next doublebass, the last having sold in March). I want to get a lot of my work done before I die in another 50 years or so. Retirement is of no interest to me. My work is my central interest, as it has been for the past 25 years.

Shooting is a good form of meditation for me, and it also satisfies my competitive nature. What relevance has London 2012 for me? That's an easy one; I intend to be on the national team and competing at the next Games in 2016, and at a number of World Cup matches before then. If I fail, it will prove that I have not tried hard enough. But I am training well and putting in the hours. Maybe I'll see you on the circuit, Russ? Going to compete, are you?
Russ

Post by Russ »

By the way, I do not blame you for that, with this kind of targets is nothing good happen to you at National. At this point your mistakes is hard to fix.
Anyway good luck to you and Greg.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Russ wrote: "I was a coward "
Who told you that?
You did Russ, when you said this:
Russ wrote:you have no guts"
Russ wrote:You just recognized that $500 with attendance will not do any good for your future progress. You just not willing to admit reality, because you believe that “more competitions is good for your progress.” ;)
I said, it is NOT! It is very expensive way to learn.
$500 is a rather trivial amount Russ, and I'll be happy to spend that amount to attend the nationals in Alberta this summer, if my work schedule allows for the trip. The money is a non-issue. I earn a decent living, and my sport gets whatever money it needs such that I am able to advance. I do not throw my money away carelessly, but $500 seems a tiny amount considering what a good experience it will be (if I can make it) to shoot against international competitors in a large venue.

Where on earth do you get these ideas, so that you can mis-state so badly the intentions of my very clear comments? I never suggested for a second that attendance of the nationals will not do any good. It was Greg Derr who said that attending a lot of competitions could be a good thing for a shooter's experience, and while I certainly do agree up to a point, I also feel that it is easy enough to simulate a competition environment at home or at the club by using one's mental faculties in a focused manner.

I had a music teacher in grade 7 who played the clarinet as his main instrument, and played it very well. He told us that when he was 10, he desperately wanted to play the clarinet after hearing a great player. But his family could not afford an instrument, not even a very bad one, as it was during the Depression and they could barely feed themselves. So he took a wooden ruler and a pencil and placed that ruler beside a friend's clarinet at school, copying the locations of all the keys. He practiced using borrowed sheet music for 2 years, blowing into the end of the ruler the way he saw others blow, fingering all the notes silently. After that 2 years, his father finally found work and was able to afford a cheap instrument, bought it for this now 12 year old boy, and stood back in amazement as his son played his first few, beautiful notes, then proceeded to play for hours in the most astonishingly powerful way. He went on to a successful professional career lasting decades before shifting into teaching when he got old, shifted into inspiring kids with what can be done through focus and discipline. He had no secrets from us, taught us all that he could for his rather humble teacher's salary. He was pretty good as a history and writing teacher as well.

I've had the honour of meeting a large number of such disciplined and talented people in my 50 years. I've learned from these people that with a positive attitude and discipline one can do anything, be anything. I wanted to make instruments, so I studied books, practised my craft, and now am very busy restoring and building instruments. People often wonder at how it is possible I did not attend any school or apprenticeship, but these are only a couple of ways one can learn. Human beings are flexible creatures Russ. We can learn what we need, wherever we wish to learn it. I happen to find discussion forums to be an excellent resource... and guess what? So do the founders of this forum! (Who, by the way, you really should consider paying for allowing you to advertise your services here.)