hand grip putty?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pmelchman

hand grip putty?

Post by pmelchman »

Hello, my son is wanting to place some type of putty on his pistol grip of his rifle to "form" a custom fit. Does anyone have any idea what this putty is?

best regards

pmelchman
scausi

grip

Post by scausi »

Morini make a grip paste , i believe pilkguns sell it $30
visitor

Post by visitor »

Hardware stores sell a quick setting epoxy putty that they sell as a wood filler. It looks like a Tootsie Roll, available in a couple of shades of brown (if that matters); and a lifetime supply costs about 5 or 6 bucks. It's harder than Bondo but still very easy to work, trim or sand.
beowulf1730

Post by beowulf1730 »

Yes the hardware store is where I would go as well. If you are lucky enough to have a woodworking store near by they do generally have a larger selection of colors if that's an issue for your son.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Plastic Wood ...available at Home Depot works great.
Forrest C.

Post by Forrest C. »

http://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8257-Kwi ... 002NJDAJY

I've used products like this on all my grips and they have all been easy to work with.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I use Quikwood also at Home Depot. Every since I started to use it the amount of sanding afterward has been reduced to almost never. You can mix some up and place it where you want to and then wet your hand in the area which will come in contact with the stuff and then grip your pistol and hold and aim it. Then I recommend you let it dry for several hours and give it a try. Try to add a little bit at a time and build up to what feels good. If you need to apply some over the top of some older stuff I would score the surface up some.

when you are done take some 2 part clear epoxy and mix it up and spread over the area then sprinkle some sand (you want very fine sand) over the area and now you have some grip with texture. Then you can spray some paint on it to make it look nice.
pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

thanks for all the responses....we will give it a try..

patrick
10_9kid

Post by 10_9kid »

My coach uses an epoxy putty that hardens very quickly, but stays hard as a rock. Great thing is he could grind it down easily if I needed adjustment.

My 2 cents
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I've started using Sugru, works great and has dozens of uses.
pmelchman

Post by pmelchman »

do you need to drill any holes or scratch up the surfaces before you use plastic wood so the putty can bond or just slap it on?

pmelchman

Post by Guest »

i use the JB Stik...the 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube and you just kneed it together.

ive got about 4 coats of polyurethane on my stock and its able to stick to it without roughing up the surface....but if you want a little better hold, roughing up the stock with some 100-120 grit couldnt hurt.

i find its easiest to keep a wet/damp rag on hand when working with it to keep your hands moist, it helps to prevent the epoxy from sticking to your skin....

i simply mix the putty, hold it in my hand, then grip the rifle as i normally would, and just get comfortable and allow my hand to settle into the putty. then i do some final touch-ups and let it set.

once its set, i usually go over it with some steel wool/ light sand paper to smooth it out and make it comfortable.