Anschutz 1907/1912 "Hands On" Request

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

softreset

Anschutz 1907/1912 "Hands On" Request

Post by softreset »

I have somewhat of an odd request but I can't think of anywhere else to put something like this, so I here goes. I'm looking to get my hands on either a 1903, 1907, 1912 or even one of the Anschutz rifles in the precise/aluminum stocks. Here in Sacramento, no one sells Anschutz or is even on the dealer list. I'm not in the immediate market to purchase one but it's on my 120-180 day financial plan. The problem is, I don't know if I'll even like how it feels in my hands.

I'm not asking to shoot the rifle, I'm just asking to hold it off hand for a few seconds to see if it's for me. Regrettably from my frequent visits to Sacramento Valley and Yolo, I've been unable to encounter someone who has one of these rifles so I'm willing to venture out if it means getting my hands on one.

My Zip Code - 95815 (Sacramento, CA) and I'm willing to drive up to 150 miles (each way). For my budget, I'm indirectly set on the 1912 but I'd love to check out the 1907 with the 1903 coming up in 3rd place. The higher end models in the aluminum stocks are out of my budget (currently) but if I fall madly in love with them after holding the rifle then I'll just delay my purchase to ensure I make the right purchase.

Feel free to drop me a PM or response here if you can help me with this "hands on shopping trip."

Thanks!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

While I'm a huge proponent of the 1912, you'll probably only find them used as they are out of production. Neal Stepp of ISS may have some.
(Might be good as you can keep saving???)

I'm out here in Colorado Springs this week for the JOs and a rifle that has really caught my eye is the 1907 action in the new(er) 1914 stock. It's basically a 1912 stock with a tricked up cheekpiece and buttplate hardware.

Lighter than a metal stocked 1907 action.
Check one vendor here:
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-1907_IN ... -4625.aspx

Now back to your question .... look in the womensJO smallbore results and look for CA shooters. Google/Facebook/whatever them and maybe some are close enough for you to take a peek.

I'd really still look for the 1912 or 1914......I like the rifles (1907 action) with the flat forestock ... not the angles versions)
softreset

Post by softreset »

Thanks for your response. Good tip on the 1912, the good news is that the 1907/1914 looks to be at a similar price point so it can still fit within my planned budget of about $3,000.00 (+/-). Never thought about the e-stalking thought process, I like it and truthfully it makes perfectly sense.

I think ultimately what probably needs to happen is the trip to LARR. I feel like the overall trip has the potential to be extremely enlightening. Not to mention, probably very humbling for a beginner like myself. So I'll have to try and make a long weekend out of it and do some pre-emptive coordination to ensure there's a big enough crowd or event that would draw that sort of hardware out to the range for the day.
adrianS

Post by adrianS »

While I don't have the 1907, I do have a later 1807 with the standard stock(angled forestock) that resembles the 1907, difference being that it has a rubber butt pad instead of a buttplate. I don't know if that's one if youre criteria.

I train out of LARR almost every weekend and sometimes Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I can let you shoot it if youd like.
softreset

Post by softreset »

adrianS wrote:While I don't have the 1907, I do have a later 1807 with the standard stock(angled forestock) that resembles the 1907, difference being that it has a rubber butt pad instead of a buttplate. I don't know if that's one if youre criteria.

I train out of LARR almost every weekend and sometimes Tuesdays and Thursdays, and I can let you shoot it if youd like.
I'm open to checking out multiple rifle and stock-types. I'm primarily interested in purchasing a 3P rifle that I can adequately "grow into" as I begin to invest more time in money in this hobby of mine. So whether I end up with a particular xx07 or xx03 is just a bi-product of getting to try them (wherever possible).

I'd prefer to purchase new but I'm not opposed to used if the savings is substantial enough to warrant purchasing used.

Given the distance to LAR&R (about 475 miles each way) I'd ideally like to maximize my trip out there and as such I'd need to plan it probably a couple of months in advance.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Check going North too. Oregon has some clubs with juniors shooting these I think