BSA Scope

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Zoomies

BSA Scope

Post by Zoomies »

I was looking at a scope I could crank down to 50 feet for small bore shooting. The BSA 3-12X44 with adjustable AO looks suited to the task and at $100.00 looks even better. Anyone have any experiance with it?

Thanks
randy1952

Re: BSA Scope

Post by randy1952 »

Zoomies wrote:I was looking at a scope I could crank down to 50 feet for small bore shooting. The BSA 3-12X44 with adjustable AO looks suited to the task and at $100.00 looks even better. Anyone have any experiance with it?

Thanks
I would look at a McStar 15-45x60mm Spotting Scope that is being sold by RL Airgun Supply for $72. We bought four of them for our club and they are great for the price, especially as these are the high resolution model instead of the low resolutions being sold for around $50. They will focus down to 10 meters and at 50 ft they still work great.

I haven't had much luck with BSA scopes in generally as they just don't seem to hold together very long.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

I have something very close and cost lots less than that. The BSA Platinum 6x24 44mm at Natchez for $59.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... c=exrbSrch

I did a side by side comparison with several big name scopes and it's just as bright at 100yd. The day I tested was partly cloudy. The only negative I found is the crosshairs are really thick. Almost as think as the 1/8 min dot. It works fine for me at 50' at 20-24x. I don't care for the thick crosshairs at 100yd though. It covers up the shots in the black.
randy1952

Scopes

Post by randy1952 »

matchguy wrote:I have something very close and cost lots less than that. The BSA Platinum 6x24 44mm at Natchez for $59.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... c=exrbSrch

I did a side by side comparison with several big name scopes and it's just as bright at 100yd. The day I tested was partly cloudy. The only negative I found is the crosshairs are really thick. Almost as think as the 1/8 min dot. It works fine for me at 50' at 20-24x. I don't care for the thick crosshairs at 100yd though. It covers up the shots in the black.
Oh, I am sorry I thought you were talking about spotting scopes. I worked in a sporting good store for 20 years and we sold BSA scopes and to many had to be returned to us for various reasons, which a majority were from the cross hairs collapsing. The other reasons were the adjustment of the cross hairs refused to move from some reason, the lens would fog up, and we had one were the lens fell out of the tube. We had to eat the cost of six scopes because of these failures. If your not going to be shooting the rifle that much then the scope might be okay.

I used to be part of the crowd that would look for the cheapest thing out there and when they broke I would turn around and buy another one. However, after awhile I got to figure out that after all the time I spent, aggravation and money I spent replacing the cheaper models. I could have just took my time and got the better models and although I payed more for them I was better off in the long run. There is an old saying you get what you pay for. That's not to say that you can't find a good deal out there, but I would take the time to look for better quality at the best price you can find. However, this is just my two cents.
Zoomies

Re: Scopes

Post by Zoomies »

randy1952 wrote:Oh, I am sorry I thought you were talking about spotting scopes. I worked in a sporting good store for 20 years and we sold BSA scopes and to many had to be returned to us for various reasons, which a majority were from the cross hairs collapsing. The other reasons were the adjustment of the cross hairs refused to move from some reason, the lens would fog up, and we had one were the lens fell out of the tube. We had to eat the cost of six scopes because of these failures. If your not going to be shooting the rifle that much then the scope might be okay.

I used to be part of the crowd that would look for the cheapest thing out there and when they broke I would turn around and buy another one. However, after awhile I got to figure out that after all the time I spent, aggravation and money I spent replacing the cheaper models. I could have just took my time and got the better models and although I payed more for them I was better off in the long run. There is an old saying you get what you pay for. That's not to say that you can't find a good deal out there, but I would take the time to look for better quality at the best price you can find. However, this is just my two cents.
I know what you mean on the you get what you pay for. The rifle I want to put the scope on is a Marlin semiauto my son wants to use in some 4H 50' shoots but I have a suspicion the gun is not a good shooter. So i don't want to spend a whole lot of money testing the theory. I have other much better scopes but they are hard pressed to crank down to 50'. If the gun turns out to be a tack driver, because its me that cant shoot it, I will pony up in the future for good optics.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

The only reason I mentioned the BSA 6x24 Platinum was because the original poster asked about a similar BSA model and I have recent experience with it. Champion's Choice also sells the same model for $150 and I never bought anything from them that fell apart. I've been using it for almost a year so far on my Supermatch and it hasn't come apart yet. Don't know what will happen in the future with it.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

They are ok for what they are in a scope. If it will hold its zero and you don't plan to dial it around all the time it should be fine. Once zeroed for 50' no more dialing should stay locked in for you. If I was you I would look for a Schmidt and Bender scope.. Just kidding... Just keep your receipt!

Bo