22 ammo

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

XLshtur

22 ammo

Post by XLshtur »

What ammo, besides Eley Tenex, are people using for their bullseye .22 pistol at 25 and 50 yards? Can anyone rate these: SK pistol match, Wolf ME, Wolf MT, RWS Target Rifle. I see these are all listed for under $700.00 per case.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only ones using Tenex that I know have been given it free.

There is no way to "rate" your selections since they must be tested for accuracy and reliability in your pistol.

I have found CCI Standard velocity to be satisfactory in both my M41 barrels at less than $300 a case.
Orion

Post by Orion »

If you do your homework, you'll see just about everyone promotes CCI Standard Velocity. Some would argue likewise, but it's pretty much bullseye standard. Its affordable and efficient enough to just about shoot in any gun, although there are your differences..

I also shoot SK Jagd Standard and once in a blue moon, Eley Tennex.

Search ammo at http://www.champchoice.com/

Good luck!
gulliver62

CCI SV

Post by gulliver62 »

I shoot CCI SV for reasons stated above and that it functions well in my M41's and I have about 1 misfire a year. M41 (at least mine) are persnickity about function and several of the options you listed will not work in my gun.

Throwing my arm across the gun box, the CCI will all fall well in the 10 ring at 50 yd so until I can do close to that I have no need for other ammo.
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

I did some testing with my S&W 41 a few years ago and came up with 2 makes the worked the best and were most accurate in my gun. Trying out just about every standard velocity ammo that's made most were very close to each other but these were the ones that made the cut for me. At 50' from a rest CCI Standard Velocity was around a 3/8 inch group and RWS Rifle Match shot into 1/4 inch. In league shooting matches I use the CCI SV and in sectionals or state matches I shoot the RWS RM. Not that I could tell the difference in an 1/8 but it makes me feel better knowing I'm shooting the most accurate ammo in important matches. Cost wise the RWS is prohibitive for general use with my funds. I did shoot many others including the RWS Target Rifle and the others you mention but the RWS RM was much more accurate in my 41. YMMV

Kirmdog
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

eley sport is good, 300 or less a case.
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

I've tested my gun in my Ransom and it loves Wolf March Target, which is the same as S&K Standard Plus. CCI std vel is used at 25 yards however.
GOVTMODEL

.22 LR Ammunition

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Having batch tested TENEX at the Eley Customer Range, seventeen batches in three Hammerli pistols, my conclusion was that every batch of ammunition is unique, every barrel is unique, and to select ammunition from any batch from any manufacturer based on how a different batch of ammunition performed in any barrel is a recipe for disappointment.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I would shoot CCI SV in all my guns and for all matches except for the fact that my AW -93 does not like it. It likes Wolf Match Target so that is my ammo of choice for matches.
gusso

Post by gusso »

My new Benelli mp90s really likes the Wolf and Aguila match rifle to date. No hicccups so far...
NikNak

22 ammo

Post by NikNak »

22LR History: My experience has led me to use High-Velocity ammo ... don't knock it unless you've tried it and seen if it will work for you.

S&W 41 (5" optic barrel) from 1996: Likes Hi-Velocity Ammo
CCI Blazer with greased bulled, not Federal style plastic tray, worked well for me and now that no CCI Blazer(old style)longer available, I shoot PMC Sidewinder (have had 97 SF @ 50yds and muliple 100s @ TF/RF - 25yds)

Wolf Match Target - Gave me issues with cycling, but shot well on paper. Really greased up the barrel so any ammo change required cleaning or erratic first couple of shots.

Federal - ANY 22LR made with Federal brass gave me fits. Failure to extract, failure to feed etc ... Federal 911B, GM Match, CCI Blazer HV(with federal brass)

Benelli MP95E (Iron Sights) - Wolf Match Target and PMC Sidewinder are equally w/in my wobble. As expected, point of impact does change with these two ammo types.

Ruger Mark 1 Target - PMC Sidewinder and CCI Blazer work passable, but is only a back-up match piece ... not too much history.

Wolf Match Target didn't do too well with the Ruger - Too many cycling issues that may have been due to main spring. Wasn't willing to go all out for solution since only back up piece and it shoots HV just fine.

I know my post on HV will be controversial, but it does work for me and I have the cleans to prove it. YMMV.....

My suggestion is to shoot a lot and learn the grip, trigger & sight alignment. Early on your wobble will be greater than what the ammo will tell you anyway.... I could never get the same results free hand that I got from a rest, it all shoots differently.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

High velocity ammo for Bullseye may very well be more accurate in a given pistol and likely will cause less problems with alibi's but I would rather use standard in pistols that will run OK with them. Do not use high velocity in any old High Standards because they are prone to crack the frame. Generally, even the cheaper standard velocity ammo like Aguila, Eley sport, and formerly PMC will do fine as long as they don't jam in your particular gun. Some of the guns like Rugers, Marvels, 41 Smiths and so on won't run with that amo unless the springs are modified. In other words use the lightest recoiling, cheapest bullets that will work in your gun. It is very unusual to find any of these guns that wouldn't hold X ring at 50 yards with any ammo.
Steve K

22 ammo

Post by Steve K »

I agree with the majority of people to your question. I’ve used CCI SV for years and have had only one pistol that didn’t like it. My S&W 41, 5 inch would stovepipe about 2% of the time. However, my 7 inch 41 and Hammerli 208 have never had a problem. I also get excellent accuracy with this ammo in my 10/22s.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

One the things that is surprising, is the varying velocities of these bullets mentioned don't necessarily match the recoils. CCI SV is one of the slowest of the standard velocity ammunitions but has one of the sharpest recoils. Blazer and and the Federal automatch -- I think is the name -- are between standard and high velocity with the Federal being slightly faster. Many claim Eley sport and Aguila SE are the same but the Eley has a sharper report and one is faster than the other but I forget which is which. I think the Sport is slower and the next time I have the crono out I will check and post.-- Bill --
gusso

Post by gusso »

A little off topic but I just made the deal of the century. I traded 6 bricks of CCI sv for 3 bricks of SK Plus and 2 bricks of Lapua OSP!!! The trade actually worked for both of us since his gun only likes CCI and my gun sometimes doesn't seat the CCI but is flawless with the Lapua and SK.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

I have 55 boxes of RWS Rifle Match 1080 fps, 40 grn bullet, sells at midway for over 10 bucks a box, 325.00 shipped , email me at hwy92gun@bellsouth.net
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

The last time I checked the ammo for grouping (ca 2004) I found Wolf Match Extra gave slightly smaller groups than Wolf MT, SK Pistol Match and RWS Target. All were well within the 10 ring.
For that matter CCI SV also performed very well and was reliable in my Walyther GSP but I expereinced feeding issues with it and my new Pardini SP.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi trulyapostolic, You said the magic word: Ransom Rest. The first test

should be for reliable functioning. Then, test the reliable ammunition

for accuracy in a vised platform, like the Ransom Rest platform.

Any other method such as sand bags or leather bags or folded towels,

is really testing the shooters ability. A vised rest takes as much of the human factor as

possible, out of the accuracy results. These results are individual pistol

specific.

Tony
Last edited by paw080 on Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I've been using SK Pistol Match for the last few years. I like it. Sub one inch groups at 50 yards in the Pardini. I also like CCI Green Tag, but it is an old lot. Tenex for the Free Pistol.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Here is what I look for in my Pardini:

Rule #1. It must function 100% of the time and not jam in the mag because it is too long. I want zero alibi's. No Duds.
Rule #2. Ransom rest for the long line, it is only 30 shots a match so a brick can last you for a while. Buy the best you can afford based on how good you shoot. If you can shot Master or above get the best and suck it up.
Rule #3. Short line see Rule #1...just about any ammo will hold the X-ring, as long as you can, so it can be cheap but has to meet Rule #1.