Matchguns in the USA???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Johnny C

Matchguns in the USA???

Post by Johnny C »

I have spent the last five months hounding local gun shops and importers in hopes obtaining a MG2E with a RF kit. (and maybe an MG5E too) Previous suggestions on this forum have failed also.

HELP!!!

Post by Guest »

Try Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service. Several months ago he gave me a quote on a MG2. He told me he does not have them in stock but can order you one.
GOVTMODEL

Import it yourself!

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Use Form 6. Not a big deal. But I am curious about the yearning for a pistol with no US agent.
Spencer

Re: Import it yourself!

Post by Spencer »

GOVTMODEL wrote:Use Form 6. Not a big deal. But I am curious about the yearning for a pistol with no US agent.
Specially an MG2?
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Spencer I second that comment as well-----"Doc"
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

Either of you have any personal experience with an MG2?

-Ted
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

tedbell wrote:Either of you have any personal experience with an MG2?

-Ted
l

No, and I suspect few shooters in the USA do. My point is/was, that without a US agent support will likely be a problem. No experienced, trained service personnel, no ready access to parts...

Why bother?
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

GOVTMODEL wrote:Use Form 6. Not a big deal.
As I read the procedures, it shouldn't be a big deal. However, I have yet to find a dealer (and I've asked a large number of them, including Class III dealers who shouldn't be afraid of any sort of paperwork) who is willing to work a Form 6 with me. They can't wrap their heads around the notion that *I* am the entity importing the pistol, not them, and that I just need them to receive it, do the 4473, and deliver the piece. They all assume *they* are the importer, need an importer license, and look at me like I'm trying to pull a fast one.

I'm very happy for you that, in your experience, it hasn't been a big deal. It has for me.
Ernie Rodriguez

MG 2

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

Neal Stepp will import the pistol for you.But since Matchgun has decided to deal their products through Gehmann of Germany? the delivery flow got worse.My MG 2 works flawlessly-MG factory worked with ISS and replaced any defective parts they felt might be a problem. Dealing with Stefano Calzetti,of Matchguns,helped very much. As long as you followed his instructions-he sent me an amazing assort. of parts directly from Parma,Italy to my house. I still have my MG 2 and a MG 5-and they still work fine.I also imported 2 Hammerli's from Lenz-where the factory was located (form 6 as I recall).I had the pistols go from customs to Police Headquarters in Manhattan,NY. There is more than one way to skin a cat. However it IS A PAIN IN THE ASS.Cheers
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

BenEnglishTX wrote:
GOVTMODEL wrote:Use Form 6. Not a big deal.
As I read the procedures, it shouldn't be a big deal. However, I have yet to find a dealer (and I've asked a large number of them, including Class III dealers who shouldn't be afraid of any sort of paperwork) who is willing to work a Form 6 with me. They can't wrap their heads around the notion that *I* am the entity importing the pistol, not them, and that I just need them to receive it, do the 4473, and deliver the piece. They all assume *they* are the importer, need an importer license, and look at me like I'm trying to pull a fast one.

I'm very happy for you that, in your experience, it hasn't been a big deal. It has for me.
My local dealer has, over the years, done at least ten without a hiccup. Move to Rhode Island!
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

When you contact a dealer refer to it as an "overseas transfer" rather than as an import. That'll give you time to explain the process: They fill out form 6 and send it in to ATF; they get form 6 back and send to European dealer (scanned/emailed usually OK); European dealer ships gun to your dealer. It's just like a domestic transfer except that there's another step and form involved. It might not hurt to print out a form 6 and take it in to show them. Not every dealer is willing to deal with the paperwork, but it's not that big a deal. There may be other problems now, as I understand DHL no longer ships firearms.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

To answer the above question as to my experience with the MG2. The answer is YES, YES, OH HELL YES. I will not write about this on the forum but you can e-mail or PM me for any further discussions on this topic. "Doc"
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

When I was at ISS a year ago looking at sport pistols, Neal had one in stock that he refused to sell and another one he was having trouble getting parts for. At the time he told me he refused to order or sell them because they have so many problems with them. He was also not a fan of having to order them through Ghemann and deal with the third party. Not sure if this is still the case, but if it is, I'm sure any Gehmann dealer could order one (if they will). However, I was at a match a couple of weeks ago and a shooter I know who has been shooting a borrowed one for a long time said she ordered one from ISS. So it sounds like ISS is your source if you must have one. Seems like everyone who can get one that works really likes it.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Looks as though ISS is no-go. I will look into Form 6 and contact the factory myself and see where that goes...
paw080

Post by paw080 »

USMC0802 wrote:When I was at ISS a year ago looking at sport pistols, Neal had one in stock that he refused to sell and another one he was having trouble getting parts for. At the time he told me he refused to order or sell them because they have so many problems with them. He was also not a fan of having to order them through Ghemann and deal with the third party. Not sure if this is still the case, but if it is, I'm sure any Gehmann dealer could order one (if they will). However, I was at a match a couple of weeks ago and a shooter I know who has been shooting a borrowed one for a long time said she ordered one from ISS. So it sounds like ISS is your source if you must have one. Seems like everyone who can get one that works really likes it.
Hi, I'd like to add to USMC's comment, I too was going to order an MG2 from Neal Stepp.
Neal said he would do it if I really wanted one; but he currently
had 5 MG2s that needed to be sent back to the factory for repairs. He
couldn't order one without the buyer realizing the reliability risk.

So I ordered something else. This was about a year ago.

Tony
NAV

RE:Matchguns in the USA

Post by NAV »

Since my gun was one of the five MG-2's I have been told that it should be back in the United States with the rest of the ones sent off by Neal last year, by the end of the month. Mine in particular had a problem with the RF conversion kit not feeding properly. Hopefully when I get it back it will work like the regular MG-2 worked (which was reliable).

I must say though that Matchguns lack of support in the US does concern me when it takes a year for your pistol to get repaired and sent back into the US.

Neal has done an incredible job staying on top of Gehmann and Matchguns to make sure that my gun was repaired. Having said that I am sure that it is incredibly frustrating to him to contend with when he knows customers are already irritated.

As far as I know Neal will still order one if someone wants a Matchguns bad enough.
ricchap

Matchguns in the USA

Post by ricchap »

If you want a reliable gun, why buy a MG2E with the RF kit? You should buy a MG2ERF instead. This gun will be assembled and tested at the factory by a qualified technician. Installing an aftermarket kit is only a recipe for trouble. Buy the correct gun to begin with. I don't think that trying to save money in this case is the way to go. Matchguns are too finicky to start with. Good luck!
NAV

RE: Matchguns in the USA

Post by NAV »

I did not want an electronic trigger since I have seen many reliability problems over the years. Additionally I prefer mechanical triggers since I can feel where the sear engagement is and I do not like how the electronic triggers feel when I am shooting for practice or in a match.

If you are assuming the issues with reliability is with the trigger you would be incorrect. The problems that were occurring was that the RF kit was causing the cases not to be ejected cleanly or feed the next round in correctly. A conversion kit should be exactly that, a kit with minimal amount of parts that have to be interchanged which should not effect reliability negatively. From what I have seen on several MG2's (E's included) QC is questionable from the factory. Otherwise Neal would not have had to send a brand new MG2ERF back to the factory with trigger issues. I will be curious to see how many new parts the MG2 will have on it (upgraded at the factory) when I get it back this month.

I have several Walther GSP conversion kits that have always worked well, so I am wondering what you are basing your statements on? I decided to get the RF kit much later then when I got the initial MG2 which I was using in Standard Pistol. I wanted to see if the RF kit would help with my timed fire strings and rapid fire strings. If anyone has a RF match around it would be nice to have a gun that was specifically set up to compete in that event as well.

You are making assumptions that are incorrect about a person's decisions on getting the RF version. It was not a money issue but it was indeed attempting to discover which gun was correct for me and for the types of events that I shoot or have available to shoot in my area.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

My comment was not about your post Nav. My comment was for the original post (Johnny C) that was looking for a MG2E with a RF kit. He is the one I am recommending to get a factory RF gun to avoid any troubles.
NAV

RE: Matchguns in the USA

Post by NAV »

Ricchap your post was not clear in who you were responding to since the post followed mine and did not have Johnny C noted.

Getting a MG2ERF will not necessarily guarantee the outcome that you have stated since I have now seen 2 of these that had to go back which were brand new. There are not too many of the MG-2's in the country right now in the first place and even fewer that are the electronic rapid fire variant. I am curious to what your experience is with these pistols or how many you have seen.

To Johnny C:

I believe that Matchguns has a good product or I would not have bought two of their pistols and a conversion kit. I had a Gehmann GP-1 (essentially a MG-1) airpistol but I had so many problems with it that I got a refund on it and got a FWB P-44 Jr.

The MG2 (besides the problems described in the prior post) had the ejector break which had to be replaced. The new part appeared to be a little different so I am guessing they are learning from their feedback and evolving the product (which is great).

I know for the MG-5 there are only 4 or 5 that are in the US and at least two of us have had problems with those. I believe the person with the MG-5E had to have the entire breech block assembly replaced since it would go off accidentally. I know that Matchguns sent him the parts but I do not know if that resolved the issue or not. Mine is a mechanical version that once it had "broken in" it began to go off when the breech was closed. I made a couple of adjustments and this appears to have resolved the issue.

There are currently four of us that shoot MG-2's in matches and they are really great to shoot when everything is working. Accurate, well balanced, great trigger (for the mechanical), sights are exceptional, grip fits well and extremely innovative.

My biggest problem with them is if you have an alibi due to a bad round you literally have to take the top of the gun apart to get a round out of the mechanism on occasion. I have no regrets about ordering one even with the problems I have encountered so far. I know a number of people on this forum speak badly about the MG-2's, but I believe the factory is standing behind their product and appear to really want the gun to succeed. This is why the gun (and it's many parts) have been evolving over the years.

If you want to take a chance that an MG-2 is something you really want, Neal would probably be willing to order one for you.

If you want to email me any specific questions please feel free to email me offline at:

Dr.Nicolas.Valcik "at" dr-nicolas-valcik.org