New shooter wants some input...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Johnny C

New shooter wants some input...

Post by Johnny C »

Hey all,

Been lurking here for about a year since I caught the airgun bug. Bought a few toys, then got seduced by the beautiful European pistols... Starting to itch for a rifle for 10M now. I have no immediate plans to compete, so I don't need anything like an LG400 or 9003. But I do have some questions on beginning with a Ans. 8001 Club vs an 8001 Benchrest.

Now, my interest in rifle is pretty casual. I'm not interested in slings, standing rests, etc. A few shots standing up, and a few shots at a sitting bench with the rifle sitting on a bag. I can see that the Benchrest version has the sights on risers, with the rear sight a bit further back than on the Club version for the obvious reasons- function and comfort. But I wonder how this set up would fly standing up. As I said, my interest in rifle is very casual. Can I reasonably "make do" with the Club version on a bag (while benching) when it comes down to it? Or how about the BR version standing up?

Thanks ahead!
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

Sounds like you would be happier with a standard air rifle, a dedicated bench rest rifle would have a flat bottom and that would make it uncomfortable in the standing or any other position.

now a regular air rifle has the accesory rail and if you choose to get more serious about bench resting an air rifle you could get an attachment for that.

others will chime in that have more experience than me but thats my 2 cent.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

For that application I would get a higher powered rifle. Something like a field target model. An Air Arms MPR would probably be better than a dedicated low power match rifle. An Air Arms EV, or Daystate Airwolf would also be a decent choice. I have a Steyr LG100 AZ model, and that would be a high priced option also. It is hard to answer you needs, but that is food for thought.
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Terry - I am looking for something for 10M. I do have an AirWolf and I love it! But a bit of overkill for 10M.
nester

Re: New shooter wants some input...

Post by nester »

Johnny C wrote:Now, my interest in rifle is pretty casual. I'm not interested in slings, standing rests, etc. A few shots standing up, and a few shots at a sitting bench with the rifle sitting on a bag. I can see that the Benchrest version has the sights on risers, with the rear sight a bit further back than on the Club version for the obvious reasons- function and comfort. But I wonder how this set up would fly standing up. As I said, my interest in rifle is very casual. Can I reasonably "make do" with the Club version on a bag (while benching) when it comes down to it? Or how about the BR version standing up?

Thanks ahead!
I think standard club rifle (for standing) is better. As you can add a raiser and a rail, and will have it close enough to benchrest stock.

As for casual shooting - yes, you would need a rifle and a jacket. You can skip trousers, boots and standing rests (just lower your rifle to the table), also there is no sling for the standing.
IMHO that would be enough even for some light competitive shooting.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I'm sure you'd be very happy with the club air rifle. The rifle and pellets are all you need. Next would be a glove of some kind, but dedicated shooting glove is not needed, just an old ski glove or even lined leather work/driving glove.

A jacket is not needed, and you will find a better position without one. It can always be added later if you get into serious competition. The problem with jacket and pants is that they have pushed the limits of the rules for so long that they really no longer meet the "spirit" of the rules (as they lend artificial support).
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

Thanks for the advice guys... Just ordered a 8002 KI S2. Now to play that old game of waiting...