FWB 100 102 103 AND IZZY Case Interest?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
plinkster

FWB 100 102 103 AND IZZY Case Interest?

Post by plinkster »

How many owners woul want a new hard plastic case with a custom cut foam insert for gun pellets and tools? I'm in the process of developing such a case and wondered what kind of interest there would be. Thanks
Last edited by plinkster on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Depending on price and size (keep it small), I'd be interested in the case alone. No need, or want, for the custom foam as I'd put an IZH into it.

I've been looking for a case the size of my LP10 case (yes, the Baikal will fit) for my IZH. I'm tired of big, bulky cases that seem to be the defacto standard.

Heck, I'll bring my case and pistols down to you if it'd be of any help.
plinkster

Post by plinkster »

Brian thanks!
The case's i'm looking at are approx. 16 3/4 x 12 x 4 1/4.
This size is compatible with the 100 and 103 i have drawn. I would also have cut outs for two pellets. My oem FWB case is close to this size . My goal is to have the foam pre-cut just like the origional FWB cases. The case i'm looking at can be ordered in black, off black colors and blues. I have had 2 izzy's and never traced them, i should have because i believe there are tons of people out there that would like a fitted case. Something like the drawings attached...
Attachments
FWB CASE2.jpg
FWB CASE2.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
Last edited by plinkster on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
plinkster

IZH case?

Post by plinkster »

Traced a pic at scale off the internet..
here is a IZH case...
Attachments
IZH CASE.jpg
IZH CASE.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

That's still a big case, only slightly smaller than what I'm currently using. I've looked, a LOT, for a case more in the 18x10x3.5 range (that's roughly what the PCP Stery/Morini cases run for size) and haven't found one. Ordering one from those companies runs about $100.

I found one place that did plastic injection cases with a size that was as close as anything I've seen, but they never replied to my contact info and I've lost the link now (I'll dig through my history later).

Other thoughts, no need for 2 tins of pellets. Maybe put a slot for a standard eye-glass case, a timer, or some other small box that can hold small tools/replacement parts instead? I'm trying to think of everything I carry with me to a match, pistol, pellets, glasses, tools, spare seals, journal, hand towel, anti-skid shelf liner... and that's it. Oh, water and energy bars, but that's not shooting specific. Others use timers, but that'd be easier to cut out yourself since they come in all sizes.

Anyway, good idea and there would be a good bit of market (especially for the IZH).
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

I'm interested in this type of case as well. One for my older dark blue 103 that came without a case...and maybe another for my IZH-46M as well.

Of course, pending price, appearance, etc.

Have you thought of cutouts for tools, the white grease tube, etc.? It looks like there's room between the cocking handle and the pellet tins. What do you think of this idea? Is that what the square at the top corner is for?

Also, what is the potential of buying only the cut-out foam from you if a shooter already has a decent case with foam cut for a different style pistol?

Keep us posted on your progress. This is most interesting.
plinkster

More mods...

Post by plinkster »

Ok i hear you. Try these changes.. Keep the suggestion comming. I'm not to sure yet about the specifics of the inserts. I will keep you up to date..
Attachments
IZH 1.jpg
FWB 100 1.jpg
FWB 103 1.jpg
plinkster

Post by plinkster »

Here are the cases i'm looking at . I like them because they fit my 100 and 103...however there is a smaller case that might work better for the izzy..
Attachments
case.jpg
case.jpg (4.56 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
case2.jpg
case2.jpg (10.19 KiB) Viewed 5951 times
plinkster

Smaller IZH case?

Post by plinkster »

here's asmaller case that would work better for the IZh it's 3" thick..
Attachments
izh case2.jpg
izh case2.jpg (4.74 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
izh case 2.jpg
izh case 2.jpg (9.18 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
izh case smaller_1.jpg
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

You're going to want to keep plenty of foam between the front sight and the end of the case. Your layout of the 103 shows the foam being very, very thin under the front sight.

Once you pick up the case, and the pistol in held upside down, the whole weight of the pistol will be on that tiny portion of the foam (especially with the angle you've chosen) unless the sides of the cut-out foam grip the pistol very tightly.

I wouldn't want the slightest chance that the thin front sight blade could get bent.

Something to think about...

Just sayin'...
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Eurastus wrote:Once you pick up the case, and the pistol in held upside down, the whole weight of the pistol will be on that tiny portion of the foam (especially with the angle you've chosen) unless the sides of the cut-out foam grip the pistol very tightly.
That would depend on the orientation of the pistol. Put it in the case so that when it's picked up, the pistol is Upright, then the pressure is along the bottom, with most of it at the bottom of the grip. MUCH different story at that point when it comes to protection.
zoned

Post by zoned »

18" x 13" x 3.5" works nicely for most 50-meter pistols if you don't stash a lot of junk under the lid foam. 16" should be fine for an air pistol, less for a sport pistol. You'll lose a lot of carry space if a pistol is positioned diagonally in a small case, so consider that. Assuming the foam cutting is accurate, the sights can be close to the side because the surrounded pistol does not move if the foam is glued in all around. Line the insides with vinyl packaging tape, then glue to it. That allows removal of the foam and relines if ever necessary. The cases shown are Samsonite briefcases.

plinkster

update

Post by plinkster »

Great coments! Thanks! The foam holding the gun itself would be polyethylene (i believe this is whats holding my 103 in the oem FWB case)
and it is close to the edge, the gun has to be oriented that way in order to fit in the smallest "standard" case i've found (this is hard!)
Any way here is the latest version of the Izzy in a new case with custom cut inserts..
Attachments
IZH CASE.jpg
IZH CASE.jpg (4.09 KiB) Viewed 5814 times
IZH CASE INSERTS.jpg
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

FWIW, that's the smallest case I've found too... only I'm guessing you've found the manufacturer as the Flambeau logo isn't on the case:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/30629195-1.html
plinkster

Post by plinkster »

I like that case also. Wow that price looks the same as I can buy a min of 8 each. Not to bad. It's the custom cut inserts that I'm waiting on pricing for. Thanks!!
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

I think Brian's comment above about gun orientation in the case is certainly valid.

It seems that every single-gun case I've ever seen has the gun hang upside-down when carrying, and this might well place the sights in danger if you're trying to squeeze it into as small of a case as possible.

If the front sight is going to be so close to the edge of the case, you really ought to orient the cutouts so the gun hangs butt down and sights up.

Some of the hard cases shown in this thread aren't perfectly rectangular either, so simply turning the foam 180 degrees may not be possible if it's not cut to fit in the first place.

Most of the cases in question seem thick enough to allow stacking of two pellet tins in one deep round hole. Something to think about.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a larger case that will hold everything I need as opposed to a tiny AP-only case and then needing to carry something else to hold the other accessories (glasses, tools, timer, ear plugs, etc.).
tuj

Post by tuj »

I would buy one.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Eurastus wrote:On the other hand, I'd rather have a larger case that will hold everything I need as opposed to a tiny AP-only case and then needing to carry something else to hold the other accessories (glasses, tools, timer, ear plugs, etc.).
Thing is, what you want is easy to come by. Heck, it's the ONLY thing out there without a ton of digging and/or a custom case. If you just want the custom cut foam, that's only about $20. Or $5 if you're handy with an X-acto knife.

Finding a small case, that doesn't take up a ton of space in luggage when traveling, is difficult to find if the pistol didn't originally comes with one. And really, even with my small Steyr case, it holds the pistol, pellets, tools, ear plugs, spare cylinder and fill adapter. That leaves me with glasses (in a case, with another pair of earplugs) and I wear my 'timer' on my wrist. If you use shooting shoes (I don't), then it's moot as you could easily fit all the extras into those. The same case, if I custom cut foam, would fit Everything for the IZH, and it's smaller than anything proposed above (or that I can find for under $100)
zoned

Post by zoned »

Brian M wrote:... Or $5 if you're handy with an X-acto knife....
It's a bit more involved to get a good fitting foam liner. An X-Acto knife will just hack it up. To do it right, make an accurate pattern of the pistol and buy an electric kitchen carving knife, then mount it 90* to a work table. I've made a bunch of cases for myself and others, and each one has been at least a four hour project. Foam to do the job, in 1" sheets, will cost about $30 http://tinyurl.com/6naxbhv
plinkster

Ok

Post by plinkster »

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
Let me start offby saying that my plan was / is to have the inserts precesion cut by a case manuf. . I was never planing on cutting them myself. Now don't get me wrong this is great info on how to make your own and certainly an option. I was hoping to be able to buy in bulk a standard small case that the izzy would fit nicely in, with precesion cut inserts. I wanted to make a case that "looked" like it could have come directly from the izzy factory. Also a case that will fit the 100 , 102 and 103..
I'm still waiting on quotes and who knows maybe some of you would like to go in with me for a min. order. Thanks