Scatt Help Please

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

Scatt Help Please

Post by tenring »

Hi,

My old laptop has been long overdue for replacing and so I just did. Now I can't get the scatt to work. Says cannot find scatt device. I've tried loading different versions of the drivers and software. Nothing. Even on my old computer it seemed to alway hunt for the drivers but eventually found them.

The old computer is XP on AMD 64 processor. The new windows 7 with intel i7 processor.

I emailed scatt, but I know it will be several days before they get back to me.

Your Help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

I am not a SCATT expert but is your new verion of Windows 32 or 64 bit. It makes a HUGE difference.

TraL
cmj

Post by cmj »

should work with windows 7 and 64 bit, need latest drivers and software. My computer though seems to be particular about what USB port things are plugged into. So might try switching things around.
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

You may think that you loaded the drivers, but probably didn't. Make sure you click to unzip and install after you have downloaded the files.

Dennis L
dpg4

Post by dpg4 »

I set up a Scatt on a Windows 7 laptop last night. I downloaded the software and the drivers from the offical scatt website, there are two seperate downloads. (save to your desktop, the files will be easy to find) The drivers must be unziped before it will work, install the Scatt program first then plug in one item (target) and windows will not find the driver. Click install manually and direct windows to the unziped file. Then plug in next item and do the same, or you may get lucky and Windows will do it for you
tenring

Post by tenring »

I'll keep trying. Still no luck though

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

how do I install manually?

I'm not all that computer saavy. This window 7 is quite different than my old XP.

tenring
dpg4

Post by dpg4 »

When you plug in the target a small window will pop up in the lower righthand corner that says windows can not find a driver. Click on that window and a larger window will open, it will have an option to "browse your computer" click it.
Scroll through the next window that opened till you see "desktop" (if thats where the "UNZIPED" file is) click on "desktop" and it will expand showing you all the files on your desktop. Click on the driver file (it will become highlighted) Then start the install. Make sure you right click and "extract all" with the driver file first, I didnt and it made some strange things happen. I only know enough to be dangerous, but trying to help.
BM

Post by BM »

In options check 'accept legacy RS232 devices'. New software assumes you use new usb scatt, you need to tell program that you have old rs232 scatt.
tenring

Post by tenring »

How do I know I have an old Scatt? I was told the one with the plastic target frame is newer version. ???

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

its sensing the optical sensor driver, but not the target. I selected rs232 devices and did nothing...

Ugh!

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

ok got the computer to recognize the target control and sensor one at a time. Still says unable to establish connection with SCATT device.

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

Got to be kidding me! I saw there was a diagnostic program on the scatt site. I downloaded it, and it saw it told me to enter sensor key. I did that and now it works fine.

Thing is I entered the keys the first time and they were accepted, or so I thought. It never gave me any feedback that I fat fingered a number or nothing. Hours spent to find out that was all it was.

Now I'm bald.

tenring

Thanks to all that helped!
EJ

Post by EJ »

I've had the exact same problem, in fact, I was re-installing the drivers just as I saw your thread... It was sort of working before but 50 % of the times I opened the program, my Win7 i5 didn't detect anything (or they were detected by the computer but not by the Scatt. I don't know if this is fixed yet (more than they were detected and installed the first time, no training done yet) but I had to give it a try.
Something that worked for me was to run the installment as an Administrator after extracting all the files (amd64 wasn't extracted along with the rest -do not know whether this is important or not)
If it doesn't work this time I'm thinking of going back to my 10y old laptop with XP where I never had any problems.

edit: I will try the diagnostic tool too!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The old scatt is anything non USB. I too had problems when my pc died and I upgraded. The 'enable legacy devices' did the trick for me - along with a decent serial to USB converter.

Rob.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Scatt not recognizing drivers again.???

Getting Flustered with this.

tenring
tenring

Post by tenring »

I think there has to be some issues with the latest version of the software or drivers. I'm hoping I have the older version still.

tenring
EJ

Post by EJ »

Usb or not?
For me it's not just problems with the latest version, also 207 had the same issues.
I never figured out why or what determined when it works or not.
Things I have tried that all have worked at different times are: rebooting with or without cables plugged in, just restarting the program, plug in the cables after starting the program or as I normally do it; plug in the cables and give the computer time to find the drivers and then start Scatt.
For me it's usually 60/40 if it will work directly or not and like I said, I don't know why.
Something I have noticed is that I never had to fill in the key with the new computer, it's done automatically by the program. and then I have installed/re-installed several times to find a cure. Good or bad?
tenring

Post by tenring »

USB version. I guess this is a SCATT thing! Hope they get it figured out. Today it was not working on my old computer either. Tried my wife's and it worked. Went back to my new computer and it worked...????

tenring
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you tried asking either Scatt direct or the agent in your country?