AP upgrade suggestions?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Post by william »

it's not somebody, it's just Rover
Thanks, I had forgotten.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Remember, I will always slip in a cheap political swipe (albeit well deserved) along with some relevant info if I can.

Of course, if you want to support the person in question then you won't feel badly when you kiss your guns goodbye.
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

Rover wrote:I had an item by item fixit response to Niknak's list of "problems", but then I realized he just wants a new toy.
Wow, very perceptive, but i'm really just looking for excuses .... :-)

[/quote]If he's shooting 520s, big competitions are not a concern. I have yet to hear of any cylinder checking in the U.S. .[/quote] Ouch, but the truth hurts.

[/quote]If you have the cash, any of the "Big Four" will do fine. If you are a victim of the Obamanation, you'll only find a used LP1 or Pardini K2 in your price range (if you have a PCP setup).[/quote] As a true victim, I think we'll be back to chuckin' rocks pretty soon....

[/quote] BTW If your shots are not going to call, it's not the gun .[/quote] Hmmm, not sure since I just Chrony'd the piece and between shots 1-70 of a full cylinder, i found a 20fps increase in velocity and over the next 20 shots, an additional 5fps for a total increase of 25 fps from shot 1 to shot 90. I think I'll do a chrono post and see what response I get.

No concern here about cheap political swipes ... last I knew speech was still free!

** Edited chrony data**
Last edited by NikNak on Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I wouldn't bother with the chrono check. Variations in velocity won't cause much spread. It would be better if you clamped the gun in a vise and shot some groups. After all, that's really what you want to know.

BTW I'm in trouble again.
viewtopic.php?t=33901
peterleduc

Another vote

Post by peterleduc »

The Morini 162 is a beautiful gun. It doesn't have the grip adjustability of the Steyr but they also sell for $500-750 less used and would fit your budget. The one huge advantage is the electronic trigger for dry fire training. No need to lower the pistol and cock it each time, just pull the trigger to your hearts content. Don't shy away from the electronic trigger, they've perfected it and it's probably one of the best triggers in the world. Customer support will be there when you need it, they're popular enough that spare parts are available in the US and there's lots of them out there. Morini has enough Olympic medals that you wouldn't have any excuses while owning one :)

Peter [/u]
Brian M

Re: Another vote

Post by Brian M »

peterleduc wrote:The one huge advantage is the electronic trigger for dry fire training. No need to lower the pistol and cock it each time, just pull the trigger to your hearts content.

Peter

Yeah, cause that's exactly how the normal shot process in a match happens.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

Brian M wrote:
peterleduc wrote: wrote:
The one huge advantage is the electronic trigger for dry fire training. No need to lower the pistol and cock it each time, just pull the trigger to your hearts content.

Peter
Yeah, cause that's exactly how the normal shot process in a match happens.
Okay, maybe not, but there is a difference between "practice" and "training", yes? Although I don't know that holding a gun until a shooter's hand is shaking with fatigue is good training, those of us without coaches come up with exercises on our own.

I also don't know that there is a huge advantage to an electronic trigger. It can be dry fired repeatedly without cocking, but that is at best a minor convenience. The mechanical portion of the e-trigger is simpler, so there is less to wear and less to lube, but I don't think that is a major issue either. There is a subtly different feel to the "break", but I can't say which is better.

The electronic trigger is definitely more impressive to chicks, tho'.

Roger
peterleduc

Post by peterleduc »

So I guess I'm the only AP shooter who uses it for cross training from sport pistol and the other few pistols that sort of shoot more than one round at a time.

It may not be the normal shot process for AP and FP but it is helpful training for a few other shooting sports.

Just my 0.02 but what do I know really know?

Peter
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Rover wrote:Remember, I will always slip in a cheap political swipe (albeit well deserved) along with some relevant info if I can.
The problem is that it is impossible to distinguish one from the other.
NikNak

Post by NikNak »

Well, I did it .... I picked up a used Morini 162. It's coming soon. As someone quoted Don Nygord once .... "you can never have too many air pistols." I would rather change that to ... "you can never have too many guns :-) "

I finally changed my aiming from center mass to a tight sub-six and my practice #s jumped from 530 to 550 I could never get a deep sub-six to work for me and a normal six o' clock gave me fits..... so I had settled on center mass.... hmmm maybe i'm learning something & maybe a thread survey to come on sight picture.

We'll see if the Morini helps, or just further training. I expect it's the later. Rover had better watch out..... i was just spotting him points before.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

For what it's worth, I just found out that one of the best AP shooters around here (Vancouver), Edmond Lee, who regularly shoots 565 in competition, has always used centre aim. Started as a teenager he said, and has no reason to change it seems. I had mentioned that for the past couple of months I'd gone back to centre aim, though generally it seems frowned upon. Seems there's a bit of room to aim at whatever one prefers, just do what works for you.

The other day at a club practice when I was very tired from a hard workout the previous day, I opened with 10 shots on the back of a target. Just aimed roughly at the centre and shot 10 times. My first shot went wild, a low-and-left 5, but every remaining shot was either a 9 or a 10 in a group about 2cm across and 1cm high. The rest of the session I shot low-80's scores, too tired to hold on the black properly. Got the feeling I'd like to compete on white targets... but of course that's not allowed.

Anyway, point I guess is that what we're aiming at can have a big influence on what we hit, and that this can be strongly influenced by mood and physical state.