Club air rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bntarrw

Club air rifles

Post by Bntarrw »

Hello and good afternoon to every one. I was looking at air rifles and I see a few that are classified as CLUB rifles. Please excuse me but whats the difference between the regular wood stock VS. the club stock.

Is it overall built for smaller frame shooters?

Thanks
justadude

Post by justadude »

The term "club" usually refers to a model with somewhat fewer or only very basic adjustments. The idea being that the rifle can be transferred from shooter to shooter very quickly with only the very minimum of fuss over the adjustments.

Fewer adjustments also often equates to fewer smaller parts that can get lost and fewer screws, nuts and fasteners that can become stripped or cross threaded; often something of a good thing in multiple inexperienced hands.

"Club" rifles are often based on a junior model stock. But that is not a absolute rule.

The foundation barrels and actions are typically every bit the equal of their more expensive cousins in the same model line.

Other folks will likely weigh in with their opinions but here is my personal one: For a club that is trying to make sure it has something for everyone to shoot "club" guns are a win win. The new club member has access to a modern target rifle (be it airgun or firearm) that is not overly complex but allows the new shooter to enjoy some success and advance at a pace set by the shooter and not the rifle. "Club" rifles are typically not too expensive for a club to buy and maintain but are also not so nice that a shooter who decides they are going to stick with it for a while won't see the advantage of upgrading to their own personal rifle, helping to take some of the burden off the club to supply new shooters with rifles (usually the most expensive part of the mix) for extended periods.

Cheers,
'Dude
Bntarrw

Post by Bntarrw »

Dude , Thanks. Trying to get some inforamtion for possibly starting a JROTC precision team in a area that is somewhat limited in funds to support machined stocks(nicer rifles). I wasn't sure if the "club" rifles equated to smaller framed. Would you care to give your opinion as to which one, obviously cost is something of a issue but appears to be somewhat comparable. Walther, FWB, Anschutz.

Thanks
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I more or less agree with Dude, Check out the FWB, Walther, Anschutz, Steyr and Air Arms web sites where you will get all the info you need on sizes, shapes, weights and dimentions of their junior and club air rifles.
I believe there are a couple of US made 'Club' level air rifles so check those out.
JSB
PCU

Post by PCU »

For JROTC precision team, I'd really look at the Anschutz club rifles that CMP has. Very good rifle, price & payment plan.
GCSInc

Rumor Control

Post by GCSInc »

I hear that Crosman may build a Precision Air Gun based off their very successful CH 2009. Price may be more in line than the over priced European Guns.
Maxicooper

Re: Rumor Control

Post by Maxicooper »

GCSInc wrote:I hear that Crosman may build a Precision Air Gun based off their very successful CH 2009. Price may be more in line than the over priced European Guns.
I hope so. We have great results with their CH2009S. We love it.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I hope Crosman makes an International style rifle. The 2009 Challenger is very accurate and capable of one hole groups not much larger that pellet size. But the stock is a sporter and has much to be desired. If they keep the barrell and action and change the stock and perhaps the trigger, it could be a winner.

If they change the barrell and action, I hope the stock will still fit the 2009 Challenger, as I would love to have a precision international style stock for mine.

Best,

Mike