World Cup Spectator Warning

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RobinC

World Cup Spectator Warning

Post by RobinC »

Just a warning to any non shooters or non officials planning to travel to the London pre Olympic world Cup, the organisers have kept it very quiet that this event will be effectively non spectator.
There is a link on the competitors page for "friends and family" to get tickets.
It does not say no general spectators on the website and there is specator information (other than how to get tickets!), but there will be a very small allocation (50 a day) which are proving to be like rocking horse excrement to get hold off and have effectively already been reserved.
British enthusiasts are being blocked at every political effort in getting tickets and even people visiting to take pictures of the site have come under serious police attention and confiscation of pictures, so be warned don't come if you don't have a ticket!
Robin
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

This sounds like a crock of S--T to me. So no non shooters alowed to attend, what about shooters and NSRA members then. I think I would get confirmation from other sources before I took this as gospel. So will the ISSF be alowed to film it I wonder, MMM

Peter
RobinC as Guest

Post by RobinC as Guest »

Sorry Peter
Its not B--LS--T, its Gospel! we have been fighting this for weeks (look on the Stirton site) I have complained along with many others to the Sports Minister, I have a letter from the Sports Minister comfirming that the test event which is all they consider it to be is to test the site not security or spectator management and as such they are not providing those! He is slope shouldereing it to LOCOG. The fact that it is a World Cup is of no interest to them!
Robin

Post by Guest »

Robin you should have kept quite, let people turn up from abroad and get turned away, if they complain someone over here may then have to hang their head in shame and explain the whole sorry fiasco about what this and the Olympic shooting venue etc has become.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

This story is, unfortunately, true. My wife and I had planned on attending as spectators. A good friend who is part of the organizing committee contacted me several weeks ago to tell me that tickets will be impossible to obtain.

What a shame.

I am glad that he contacted me prior to us making airline reservations. Saved me a bunch of money there, but I would have preferred to spend the money and gone to the event.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I put this up here in the hope that some of the international governing bodies would pressure LOCOG to open the event as our UK bodies do'nt care.
We have a range that will be pulled down after the Olympics, we are not being allowed to use it for our national championships now its finished, and now British grass roots shooters can't even go along and watch the World cup. No one here in BS or the NSRA or government cares.
Can any one out there help?
Robin
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

So much for Coe's promise of legacy for all Olympic sports. I'd take every thing that bloke says with a pinch of salt.
When your up against know nothings who only care about their own political agendas and necks, your not going to get anyware. The sports Minister will probably get overruled by his party and so it goes on. If it was a sport chasing a ball, it would be a whole new 'ball game', no pun intended. Lets all move to Norway, its the national sport there.

Robin, when I said Crock of S--T I meant it was a disgrace that this was what had been decided and all I wanted was a bit more confirmation as I'm sure others wanted as well.
Our hats are off to you for your stance and letter writing, and I hope its not all in vain.

Peter
TedT

Post by TedT »

Robin
Thank you for trying so hard on behalf of the rest of us
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Perhaps more perverse - the organisers are saying that friends and family of athletes can request tickets. I have no problem with that but not at the expense of local spectators many of whome give up their time freely to coach and run competitions etc.

Rob.
silentfury214

Post by silentfury214 »

Wait, will this be televised at all?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

silentfury214 wrote:Wait, will this be televised at all?
I would imagine the finals will be on the YouTube ISSF channel; they are for most World Cups.