Low N.P.A.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

C.Opalewski

Low N.P.A.

Post by C.Opalewski »

Hi everyone,

I own a FWB 700 Alu air rifle. I love the gun and the stock adjustments that are available with it, but ever since I acquired it i have fought with a low natural point of aim. I have tried everything from changing hand position, adding weight to the rear, angling the butt plate, etc. These all helped but my NPA is just not as good as it used to be. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions that I may not have thought of? I would also like to know if other FWB owners have encountered similar challenges?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

Hi Charlie,

Do you shoot with a fist grip or an open palm ?

I used to have the same problem. I shoot with an open palm & the FWB 700 is actually muzzle heavy which often made my aiming go lower. I posted a subject about that just before getting a walther & the members were very helpful :

viewtopic.php?t=32492
C.Opalewski

Post by C.Opalewski »

Do you shoot with a fist grip or an open palm ?
In the past I used a fist, which helped my problem greatly, but I had a difficult time getting a stable sight picture with it. I am currently using an open palm that is similar to what Matt Emmons uses and I am very happy with it. My only complaint is the low npa.

-Charlie
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Have you spread your stance? Bringing your back foot out more should bring up your NPA.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I just recently switched my position from the palm to the fist as well (one month ago). I knew I would struggle with low npa as well, so I made the following changes:
Rifle: (Anschutz 2002 Alu)
1. Moved my buttplate up to about the middle, shortened it all the way (took out the two adjustable washers on the buttplate), and put on 30mm of riser blocks (I am close to max, 60mm measured from the center of the bore to the center of the aperature). To a point, raising your buttplate moves your NPA high, however you have to put on riser blocks to make up for the low head height.
2. Position: I tried moving my feet out more, however I found that it personally did not help me to a point (please note I am only speaking for myself). Here is what helped me the most though. I began to relax the middle of my lower back, instead of relaxing forward, as is the natural tendancy of shooting a higher supported position, i.e the fist. This forces you to relax your back evenly. This technique was explained to me by the assistant coach on my university team. I would recommend trying this the most, really focus on how your lower back feels. Please note that this may or may not work for you. Shooting a lower position should not be done if there is no way you can physically reach the target. This has worked for me so far. Can't hurt to try.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I have tried different support hand techniques and settled on the fist method. Using an open hand I could shoot decent scores, but I did not feel relaxed and so it was difficult for me to be consistent. When using a fist method I used to use my two middle knuckles, but felt that I was using more accessory muscle than I should. So I switched to using my first two knuckles which I think distributes the weight better since I'm able to keep my forearm straighter and hold my sight picture steadier with only a glove. Also, the amount I cant the rifle is more consistent and natural now at 10 degrees instead of 20. Due to some lower back injuries I cannot use some stances and postures and opt for a more upright position to include my head position. My back bend is minimal as is my hip movement. I've even switched my cylinder from steel to aluminum to shed extra weight and find a better balance point. The combination has worked for me. I think that some of the improvement could be from shorter movements resulting in less room for errors.