Bullet Bunkers

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

topclass52

Bullet Bunkers

Post by topclass52 »

Fellow shooters: My Club is considering replacing sand filled bullet traps with Bullet Bunkers, filled with a rubber material, in our indoor range. The range is currently used for smallbore bullseye, 4P, and silhouette Leagues, as well as air rifle bench rest and field target.

I am interested in real world experience any of you might have -- good, bad, or indifferent -- prior to moving forward, as with 22 firing lanes and two target boxes per lane, the cost of purchasing (and shipping) 44 Bunkers is not inconsiderable.

In advance, thank you for your opinions!

topclass2017 at comcast dot net
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why do you want to substitute expensive "Bullet Bunkers" for easily screenable free sand?
topclass52

bullet bunkers

Post by topclass52 »

sand makes a bloody mess and is a hazardous waste on disposal.

Post by Guest »

and the difference between lead-contaminated sand and lead-contaminated recycled rubber shreds is?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Been to a police range that uses small rubber balls, works very well. When they clean they just move the balls an heap vacuum. They can even shoot jacketed ammo. The bullet lead and jacketed basically stay intact so there is very little dust lead dust contamination. Range did cost a fortune to build.
topclass52

Bullet Bunkers

Post by topclass52 »

the difference is lead bullets fragment in the sand and become part of the medium, making separation a recovery process. The sand with lead in it as a by-product of shooting is not a hazardous waste, but once removal efforts begin, it is, meaning a whole set of costly procedures need to be followed. As has been stated, the bullets stay relatively intact when shot into rubber (or so I am lead to believe), making it a more straightforward separation process.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Looks expensive to buy, and with ongoing costs to replace the front sheets.

We looked at various options and I came across this.
http://www.supertrap.com/ST_Products.htm

I would make my own traps and fill it with that stuff.

Our club stayed with angled steel plates and nothing else - Australia is pretty slack on that kind of thing.
Misny

Post by Misny »

We made our own "bunker" using 2x4's and plywood. The bed needs to be at about a 30 degree angle. We used metal free crumb rubber. We built a trough on top that contains spare crumb rubber. Six inches of crumb rubber will stop just about any shoulder fired gun, including .50 BMG. The crumb rubber prevents lead dust from forming. We've had our crumb rubber bank in place for several years. We have old rubber conveyor belts on top of the crumb rubber to keep it in place. We use it primarily for bullseye and international pistol shooting. With that kind of shooting taking place we get 8" holes develop at each shooting position. We patch those holes with more conveyor belt material, cut to 18"x18" patches that are kept in place by nails with blocks of wood. When the patches need replacing, we clean out the large balls of lead that accumulate in the concentrated spot. Crumb rubber has proven to be the best for our club's indoor range.
GCSInc

A better Mouse Trap!

Post by GCSInc »

These work better than Crumb Rubber, and Steel is the worst offender of creating "dust".

Here are just a few ideas to stir the conversation...

Roy
Attachments
Trap Beads.jpg
Trap Beads.jpg (18.82 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
22 Bullet Trap.pdf
(94.77 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
22 CAL Materials List.pdf
(48.26 KiB) Downloaded 112 times