Small bore sights for Anschutz 64M - questions

Post by SRWpampa53 »

I posted a WTB in the Buy-Sell area and am wondering:
Where's the best place to purchase used
Where's the best place to purchase new
What would model be the most efficient use of my $
Can you use air rifle sights on small bore
Are the low cost Gehman rear sights OK

My first attempt at small bore competition - usually an F-Class shooter.
Thought this would help my ground game with irons.

Not cheap - just frugal and not wealthy
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

I can't really answer the first two questions, as you haven't mentioned where you are. Most forum members are in the US, but some (like myself) are from the UK, and others are further afield. I can recommend places, but these amy not be suitable for you.

Next, can you use an airgun sight on a smallbore? Yes you can. .22LR rifles are not hard recoiling, so there is no question of being damaged. The cheaper Gehmann (590) and Centra (Pro57) rearsights will work for smallbore, I know several people who use these. Be careful with some of the cheaper sights, these may not have enough vertical adjustment to shoot at 25, 50, and 100.
SRWpampa53

Post by SRWpampa53 »

Tim S
I'm in the US in TN (Tennessee).
There is a company about 2 miles from my home called Champions Choice and just picked up one of their catalogs. Yikes!

I'll look into the cheaper Gehmann (590) and Centra (Pro57) rear sights,
One of the small bore guys trying to get me into the sports has a used Anschutz front sight 9759 that will work on my front sight base and it comes with a set of Slimline clear inserts & can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Just for grins I put my Palma rear sight on it - Phoenix Precision not a great fit. May be OK for some ammo test this afternoon.
Attachments
A64M PP rear sight 2.jpg
A64M PP rear sight.jpg
A64M PP rear sight 1.jpg
A64M PP rear sight 1.jpg (36.11 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Don't be scared by the prices in the catalogue. There is some very expensive kit available, but you don't need it all yet (wanting is another matter entirely).

Try your Palma sight by all means. There is nothing to say you can't use a fullbore sight, in fact many people do. Obviously it would be better to have a dedicated smallbore sight, just to save time and ammo on the sighter.

The Gehmann and Centra sights will have much finer clicks than your Palma sight. The nominal value is 1/12 minute. Some shooters prefer coarser clicks (1/4 or 1/6), it seems more so in the US as the 10-ring is rather larger than on International targets. You may also find that these sights block off more of your view down range thasn you are accustomed to.
timinder

Post by timinder »

It looks from the photos that the rear sight is way too high in relation to the front sight. try winding it down to minimum elevation and make sure you have a sufficiently tall target sheet/backer and a decent backstop, or your shots will sail over the range wall and end up in the next county!
SRWpampa53

Post by SRWpampa53 »

timinder wrote:It looks from the photos that the rear sight is way too high in relation to the front sight. try winding it down to minimum elevation and make sure you have a sufficiently tall target sheet/backer and a decent backstop, or your shots will sail over the range wall and end up in the next county!
timinder
You are correct and I have a rear sight set that I've purchased from a member of this forum that should be here in a few days and should resolve the height issue.
I did basic bore sight through barrel and noted I could not get the rear Plama sight down far enough for front sight line up.
Good eye!