Firing point countdown timer

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kirtar

Post by kirtar »

Popeye wrote:With responding to Kirtar, almost all competitors will easily shoot a 5 shot series in a couple of minutes. However, what the timer does is allow you to see exactly how much time you have left if you suffer from malfunctions or get chicken finger, blurred vision, or any other problem (such as adrenalin surges and you find your hand shaking!), and thus allow you to get and keep things under control - and then calmly work out timing between shots with the remaining time left.

A few years ago during a 50m free pistol event I suffered light strikes with a Toz35, getting about 1/3 shots away!! Yeah-lots of dry-firing practice. The timer was helpful with knowing how much time in each stage was left! It was hard - but manageable with a timer. I was left with a large pile of ejected/rejected rounds. LOL

Popeye
I suppose I didn't think about malfunctions
David Levene wrote:
kirtar wrote:To be honest, on Standard Pistol the only one stage that a timer might be useful for is slow fire,
I totally disagree.

Not only is, IMHO, a timer required for the 20s & 10s series, it is also essential for Rapid Fire Pistol and the 25m Pistol and Centre Fire Pistol events. How else can you adjust your breathing cycle so that you are at the correct stage when you get the "Attention".
I do that easily with my watch.
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

PCU wrote:Simple one, no alarm, $14 US at Champions Choice. Bought some years ago & none ever quit - just occasional new battery needed. Link:

http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Timers-312.aspx
Wow- I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had to share this- since my kitchen timer died some time ago and I've been needing a replacement I just went online to buy the timer mentioned above and Champions Choice wanted over $15 in shipping and handling for that $14 timer!
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Sorry to be so late with my information. I kept forgetting to look up a website. Take a look at the Acu Rite kitchen timers.

http://www.acurite.com/cooking/timer-th ... chive=&p=2

I purchased model #00535 It counts up or down (the website doesn't say it counts up and down but it certainly does) and is good for up to 10 hours. I have used it for over two years. I found mine at Wal Mart.

I saw on this same page a slighter smaller model #00531 that states it counts up or down and is good for 24 hours.

Both are inexpensive.

Come see us in the woods.

Jack
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

tedbell wrote:
PCU wrote:Simple one, no alarm, $14 US at Champions Choice. Bought some years ago & none ever quit - just occasional new battery needed. Link:

http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Timers-312.aspx
Wow- I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had to share this- since my kitchen timer died some time ago and I've been needing a replacement I just went online to buy the timer mentioned above and Champions Choice wanted over $15 in shipping and handling for that $14 timer!
Just wanted to follow up on my post above - I had emailed Champions Choice and asked about the shipping - they said that their website is set up to only do UPS, but for small stuff if you order over the phone they can ship it US mail- said the timer s&H would only be a few bucks if sent that way. Wanted to pass that info along.
Gwhite

Chinese Timer "Kit"

Post by Gwhite »

I found a timer on eBay that folks might be interested in. It can time for up to 100 hours, which means it will work for full air or free pistol matches. It uses a single AAA cell rather than button cells, so it should runs for many years without a problem. They are only $1 plus $2.79 shipping from Hong Kong, and I bought a dozen for the team I help coach. All of them work fine, but they require modification to get the battery to fit. I made a few other changes/improvements while I was at it.

All the gory details are in the file below.
Attachments
Chinese Timer Kit.pdf
Info on low cost timer for pistol matches
(733.72 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
john_almighty

Can you wear ipod during matches

Post by john_almighty »

Sorry for a quick offtopic question. Does ISSF have any rule against wearing ipods during matches. I dont mind listening to beethovan or bach during my practise. Wondering if officials would be against the ipod.

By the way, for countdown, i prefer a count up as well and just use the stopwatch on my timex which runs easily till 3 hours. And i also have a habit of wrting down start time as per my watch just incase.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

No device capable of emitting sound is allowed, only those which block sound may be worn. This is to prevent coaching input during a match I think. So no phones, no ipods, not even a radio.