Savage/Anschutz 64M rifles - in small bore match

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

SRWpampa53

Savage/Anschutz 64M rifles - in small bore match

Post by SRWpampa53 »

Newbie here on this site and am very impressed with knowledge if various sports and equipment. I have been shooting F-Class matches for about 8 years and am just now getting into some small bore activities.
How will my Savage/Anschutz 64M fare in small bore matches.
I'm kinda of new to them (first one) and local fella had one that I saw an couldn't pass up. Been a safe queen and not fired much if any.
Low round count and 64 is stamped on the barrel.
Came with a Gehman cuff sling and rail attachment
Also, what are generally worth? Probably paid too much.

Misny

Post by Misny »

I have one of these rifles. Mine is in very good shape also. They are definitely old school. Mine belonged to a local shooter who used to shoot at a local high school in the 70's. I'm not a serious prone shooter, but the rifle suits me. I would like to get a hooked butt plate for mine, though. After looking at your group, I will have to try the
Federal Gold Medal ammo in mine. I've been shooting Aguila Target and SK Jagd plus. I only shoot iron sights on my Savage/ Anshutz 64. I wouldn't sell mine with match sights for any less than $500.00. I was lucky enough to find a S/A model 164 Sporter a few years ago for a good price. It is my squirrel hunting rifle.

justadude

Post by justadude »

As you have sort of surmised, the Mark 64 was more of the introductory target rifle from the early Anschutz lineup. It is a lighter action and barrel than the more popular and common Match 54 action based rifles.

Based on the length of the forend rail and the shape of the pistol grip yours has a production date sometime in the mid to late 1960s. As time went on the pistol grip became straighter, as seen in the pictures from the second post.

As you see, with decent ammo, the barrel can produce some nice groups at 50yd. For club prone shooting you should find it OK at that distance although you will likely find that compared to Match 54 action or similar top end match rifles the performance of the barrel falls off at 100 yards.

The 64 action can be a little more prone to dirt buildup around the bolt so if you shoot it a lot you will want to stay on that. For recreational prone shooting it will be fine if you get serious about prone competition you will want to move up to something a little more refined.

You will note the action is still in production as a target rifle in the Anschutz 1903.

Value, not sure what 64s are going for these days.

Good Luck

'Dude
Roadthing

Post by Roadthing »

Any thing that gets more people in the sport is a good thing, but if you enjoy it, that wont be the last Anschutz you buy.LOL

Welcome to the sport.

Doug K
pratt2208

Post by pratt2208 »

i agree with roadthing on that. I started shooting a winchester 52D very limited adjustments once i shot my father's 1913 i feel in love and went and had one order before the season ended. Now i have an 1813 stock wish i like much better no need for an allen wrench sitting next to me all match to make adjustments and now i am shooting better because i adjust the gun more often if i dont have the hold i am looking for.
Jason
stevep

Post by stevep »

It's a fine gun. There's nothing wrong with the essentials - trigger, action, barrel. I know people who shoot that exact type of rifle, of that age, at national comps and do very well.

But, as others have said, these things are very, very nice to shoot, and you WILL wonder what the next model up would be like.... and the next model up after that.... and maybe the next one ......
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

It's a great rifle for juniors due to the size and weight. If you are shooting at 50m and a new shooter, I doubt that a M54 will be any more accurate. I have probably seen 50 of these sell on gunbroker over the last year and have sold one myself. In great condition with iron sights, they go for $6-650. Well used for around $450-$550. My brother just purchased one last week without sights in average cosmetic condition for $350.