Barrel and action questions

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BAtarget

Barrel and action questions

Post by BAtarget »

Got a few questions.

Whats better, a 21 inch barrel or a 27 inch barrel? WHY?

Is it possible to buy an Anschutz 20XX series action, without the barrel?

Im asking bacause im thinking of making a rifle for myself. I wanted to put a 20XX Anschutz action with a Lilja barrel and beesting tuner in a Anschutz 54 BR stock. I also wanted to put a DV 4-way buttplate instead of the one installed on the 54 BR. Wanted to make fixed cheek piece into an adjustable one. I planned to put a CG Centa Rear sight and maybe a RightSight front sight on the gun a well.

not too sure about the front sight yet. any suggestions?

I need to know which barrel length is better because i need that length, to determine what length tuner i need.
tenring

Post by tenring »

What are you going to do with it? Bench or Prone. Your only going to get opinions on barrel length so what your doing with it will help get the right help.

tenring
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

I intend to use it for prone only. I want to shave the "bench-rest" fore-end down to 55mm and add an Anschutz 11 inch rail on the underside.

Just thought about something. Would it be easier to get a Master Class Stock for the action?
tenring

Post by tenring »

In my opinion, unless you like fixing and tinkering...save the time and frustration. I tried to do it in a similar way and had success, but was limited by funds. I was patient and found good deals on stuff and tried to make them work, but in the end it was a try to trade up to better working stuff every time. When I started I had limited funds and was unsure if I was going to stick with prone. I love it. If funds are limiting, but you do what you gotta.

What exactly do you have at the moment? Round 54 action? What is your budget and what is your goal. That stock should put some cash back in your pocket. Master Class is good, but there is better for less.

tenring
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

I have an 1813 supermatch, its a 54 round action. but i use that for 3P Im looking for a top of the line prone rifle. Im not limited by funds. The plan is to buy as i go along. The key factor with pricing is whether or not i can buy the action without the barrel.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Most likely you will not find a 2013 barreled action without a barrel. I'd say the top stock for fit and function and for the 20xx action is the G&E stock. Another quality stock is the MEC. Grunig Revolution III stock which will also accept a highpower action with an adaptor.. $3200+

If our looking for top notch prone rifle right from the box and funds are not a limiting factor. Consider the new Bleiker Challenger. You can order it with a custom American made match grade barrel. Your looking at $6000+ for it though.

There is a new all American made position rifle being made that could prove to be a competitor??? Only $2000 complete. Google 10X. Don't know anything about them, but 10X does have a good reputation already.

Tenring
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

A 21 inch barrel is better because the harmonics of the barrel are shortened. A bloop tube and and tuner would be added to lengthen the sight radius. I would just buy a used benchrest gun. A 54 action can't hold a candle to a benchrest action like a Time, Stolle, Borden, ect,ect. I just saw a Time action benchrest rifle with a Shilen barrel and trigger, tuner and benchrest stock for $1800.00. All you have to do is get the right ammo to make this rifle a tackdriver. Course, it all depends on the nut behind the trigger. I seriously believe in what Boots Obermeyer told me years ago, that it's trigger time and not the rifle that wins trophies. Nuff said
Chris
tenring

Post by tenring »

The 2010 ARA record is held with a round 54 action in a factory Anschutz barrel. In a factory Anschutz stock. Pillared and bedded and had tuner on it. Benchrest shooters dominate with custom builds for one its easier and good custom parts are readily available at not much of a higher expense.

Harmonics are still there so shorter really does not matter. Length all comes down to how much weight you like out front.

If you buy a used Benchrest rifle. Make sure is has the loading ports on the correct side as customs are often backwards for prone shooters. Also make sure its not on a 40X as they are a pain to load compared to any other prone rifle. Just a whole other ball of wax there.

Look at 10X custom actions. Their building a nice looking all American made position rifle. Just make sure it does not load like a 40X. Yuck!

Chew the meat and spit out the bones.

Tenring
justadude

Post by justadude »

BA,

The best people to ask with regard to what barrel length to use would probably just call Lilja and ask them. They will likely be able to give you much better advice than a collection of people on an internet forum. Unless the other posters here have some specific background in either barrel making or tuning their opinion is exactly that, an opinion. There is a heck of a lot more that goes into a good barrel than just "how long should I make it?"

You say you have an 1813 and you want to build a prone gun? The top two prone shooters in the world use xx13 stocks so they can't be all that bad.

Want an empty action and cost is not that big of deal? Try Neal Stepp at International Shooter Service (817) 595-2090. He is the only one I know of that would be likely to be willing to put in the time to get that to happen. Otherwise, just buy a barreled action, pull the barrel out and put whatever you like in there. You know, you can change barrels on a 2013 action in your basement. However, if you don't know what you are doing with headspace the finest barrel in all the land will still shoot like crap.

'Dude
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

tenring wrote:Master Class is good, but there is better for less.
There are indeed cheaper stocks but none better or even equal. Just my opinion. Alex's stocks are flawless and his bedding is in a league of its own.

DV4 butt plates are no longer available, Dave Vanderzee's Bridgeport broke down a couple or maybe a few years ago now and he is not going to get it fixed. Alex Sitman (MasterClass) designed his own 4 way butt plate to remedy the situation. I have 3 DV4 butt plates on Sitman stocks and 2 MasterClass 4 ways on Sitman stocks and I think I actually prefer the MasterClass butt plate but its too close to call.

I have a G&E stocked 2013 for position and I bought a Lilja drop in short barrel to bring the center of gravity back to hopefully make my wobble zone smaller in offhand, it appears to work for that. The rifle shoots great in prone too but I could not imagine shooting a 3200 or 6400 match with that rifle as the stock is just too uncomfortable in prone. My prone guns are all MasterClass High Power Prone stocks and I can lay on them comfortably all day. Alex has you send him a few measurements and a tracing of your hand, the stock is made to fit you.

For strictly prone my opinion is long barrels are better, seems to be easier to find a good lot of ammo with a long barrel vs. the short barrels. I am aware of one prone shooter out west who got a 30" or even 32" barrel on his prone rifle so he can find good lots of Eley in the upper muzzle velocity lots as fighting for the slow lots is over quickly after the new shipment arrives. I believe his (Joe Farmer) lots of Eley are all 1070 FPS or better and the rifle shoots amazingly well with these lots no one else wants.

Hope This Helps.
MSNations

Post by MSNations »

justadude wrote:BA,

The best people to ask with regard to what barrel length to use would probably just call Lilja and ask them. They will likely be able to give you much better advice than a collection of people on an internet forum.
'Dude
TBH last time i called them they just wanted to sell me whatever they had in stock

-Mark
tenring

Post by tenring »

Hip's Ax wrote:
tenring wrote:Master Class is good, but there is better for less.
I meant to say for possibly less. Like Dude said. The two top prone shooters in the world are shooting 1813 stocks.

Tenring

There are indeed cheaper stocks but none better or even equal. Just my opinion. Alex's stocks are flawless and his bedding is in a league of its own.

DV4 butt plates are no longer available, Dave Vanderzee's Bridgeport broke down a couple or maybe a few years ago now and he is not going to get it fixed. Alex Sitman (MasterClass) designed his own 4 way butt plate to remedy the situation. I have 3 DV4 butt plates on Sitman stocks and 2 MasterClass 4 ways on Sitman stocks and I think I actually prefer the MasterClass butt plate but its too close to call.

I have a G&E stocked 2013 for position and I bought a Lilja drop in short barrel to bring the center of gravity back to hopefully make my wobble zone smaller in offhand, it appears to work for that. The rifle shoots great in prone too but I could not imagine shooting a 3200 or 6400 match with that rifle as the stock is just too uncomfortable in prone. My prone guns are all MasterClass High Power Prone stocks and I can lay on them comfortably all day. Alex has you send him a few measurements and a tracing of your hand, the stock is made to fit you.

For strictly prone my opinion is long barrels are better, seems to be easier to find a good lot of ammo with a long barrel vs. the short barrels. I am aware of one prone shooter out west who got a 30" or even 32" barrel on his prone rifle so he can find good lots of Eley in the upper muzzle velocity lots as fighting for the slow lots is over quickly after the new shipment arrives. I believe his (Joe Farmer) lots of Eley are all 1070 FPS or better and the rifle shoots amazingly well with these lots no one else wants.

Hope This Helps.
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

Thanks for all the help guys. For once i actually get answers instead of questions being thrown back that me! I was looking online and saw the Keppeler Stock and Sercs Stocks (MEC Project). Does anyone has any opinions or experience with these stocks?