break down LP10 to get through airport

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

break down LP10 to get through airport

Post by seamaster »

I am interested in attending the winter air pistol shoot at Colorado.

If I don't want to go through the hassle of showing my air pistol and the required paper work to get through air port gate inspector, would break down my LP10 into shroud/ barrel/ grip, and store them in separate areas/ begs be an easier way to get through the air port?

I would still have the paper work ready just in case they ask what are those individual parts. But would breaking down the pistol give me a better chance of getting through with less hassle?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Your best bet will be to mail your cylinders to the OTC. Cylinders were a problem last year coming out of the Colorado springs Airport. those flying in and out of Denver had no problem. Other than that it should be easy. It is not a firearm but should be carried in your checked baggage to avoid any hassles. Kate
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

For starters breaking it down into pieces and hiding them in your luggage makes you look guilty of something right from the start, bad idea.

I've flown many times and have had no issues with my airguns, I just make sure they are empty fly with only the cylinder attached to the pistol securely. I declare them, tell them that its an air pistol and its empty. I think I've only had to show it to someone once. Do not volunteer information that you haven't been asked for or try to educate them.

If you are worried, there is no problem taking the pistol in your checked luggage you can just ship your cylinder to OTC. Again use your head on the shipping invoice, it is a machine part pneumatic reservoir, not a gun part, gun cylinder ect. Most people who have problems are the author of their own difficulties or just unlucky to have had a jerk go before them.
peterz

Post by peterz »

You're flying domestic. It is LEGAL to carry an AP as checked luggage on the plane as long as an a AP is legal in the states at both ends of the trip. You need not fill out all the forms for carrying a firearm, but you should. Gives TSA a comfort feeling. Make sure your tanks are interested and your pellets are stored elsewhere.

Or, FedEx the day before.

If you break down a rifle or pistol the way the Jackal did in movie or novel, and somebody is sure to take you into a hard room with hardened officers. Trigger in the end of a crutch, butt plate as the top of the crutch, barrell as the foot of the crutch... And if they find any of the stuff, they will much doubt you are doing a dry run for a remake: "The Jackal's Third Day."

Be legal and open. Where the authorities don't want to take your gun don't take. Where it can be legal and licensed, do it.

--pz
peterleduc

Post by peterleduc »

Not be cotradictory but I've been told to make sure there's some air left in your cylinder in case they want to let some out/test it. That way they know it's not some lethal gas, it's just air. Pilk also has the TSA forms showing that air pistols are legal for transport.

Peter