Pellet Ricochet with Rika Electric Carrier

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Jack Milchanowski

Pellet Ricochet with Rika Electric Carrier

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

"The revolutionary Pro Catch sound absorbing bullet trap is an optional accessory. Pro Catch misses nothing and on the other hand enables to catch the pellets and keeps the area and the floor below the targets free of lead."

I have a Rika World Champion electric target carrier with their pro catch bullet (pellet) trap. My range is set up in my metal building/barn with a concrete floor. I have an abundance of ricochets. The pellets are flattened and ricochet out 5-6 meters in a fan from 45 degrees left of the target to 45 degrees right of the target. I sweep them up every two weeks or when I get really tired of walking on them.

Have others with this system experienced the same situation? If so, have you found a solution to the pellets spraying out in front of the target?

How many ricochets am I having? If I am shooting 10 shot groups I might hear 1 or 2 strike something in the barn on the ricochet. The distance is from the foot of the target backstop out to 6 meters.

Someone elsewhere suggested we post where we are located.

I live in the woods in north Texas, U.S. Come see us.

Jack
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

I have the same equipment and setup......and the same problem you describe. Makes no difference whether the trap has been emptied or is full of pellets. Looking forward to ideas.
GCSInc

Photos?

Post by GCSInc »

How about some photos and maybe even pull a string from point of impact on the Pellet Trap to location on the floor or where it comes to rest. I might be able to figure it our if I could see what you're describing.

Video would be good to as offten as it's occuring in your situation.

Thanks,

Roy
(678) 772-8185 cell
Jack Milchanowski

Roy,

I will try to explain. Take a string and tie it to the target backstop plate and walk straight out 6 meters (right over the carrier's strings) and put a mark on the floor. Using the same connecting string as a compass move left through 45 degrees of arc of a circle marking the floor as you went. Return to the carrier strings and continue moving through an arc 45 degrees to the right marking the floor as you go. This would give you an arc of 45 degrees from the target backstop out 6 meters. It looks like a huge fan. I swept up the floor today since I had my attention to it. I would hope this gives you a picture of the floor area that the pellets are ricocheting in. I am using an air pistol, however, I would suspect an air rifle pellet would do the same.

Once again--this is happening 10-20% of the time. They do not end up in the same spot every time. They are scattered around the entire fan area. The remainder do go into the trap's drawer. I do not see them as it occurs (naturally just watching the front sight) but I hear them hitting various objects in the barn which is why I am afraid to post a picture which would embarrass me as to the condition of the junk in my barn.

Come see us in the woods.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

Jack I bought the same target system as you as recomended by Coach Sil and had the same problem. I removed the white probably phenolic plate and made a shallow box and filled it with duct seal and mounted it behind the target. Then I made the cardboard "funnel" because occasionally pellets will just fall straight down and there isn't much room so I made the cardboard thing to funnel the pellets that do fall into the tray. The close-up picture is what the pellets look like after firing at the duct seal for a while. After a while you dig a hole and then you just take a screwdriver and remove the pellets and then just push the duct seal back into the hole and start shooting again. This way is quieter, less lead dust and nothing on the floor. Scott
Attachments
DSC00959.JPG
DSC00960.JPG
Jack Milchanowski

Scott,

What a great idea! Thanks!

Clint1080's thread reminded me of my pellet scattering situation. I just thought I would throw it out for conversation and to see if I was the only one experiencing it. I have always wondered if the horizontal piece of metal that covers part of drawer area is too long. I am talking about the piece that is in line with where the strings lead and the pulley is attached. It has two screws in it and it then extends further to the rear. I wonder if 3/4" of that was cut if it would catch more pellets.

I have made a box with duct seal prior to the Rika and it is wonderful. I also have a Gehman trap and it has done a fine job too.

I will copy your frame/cardboard and put it to work.

My .45 came in and I have shot it with hardball. It is sweet.

Come see us anytime in the woods.

Jack