Newbie saying Hi!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Newbie saying Hi!

Post by Guest »

Hello everybody! My names Mark and I live in England; I've just joined the forum because I used to shoot air pistols years ago and now I've decided to return to the sport.
I would apreciate any advice and suggestions such as what pistol would you recommend for a newbie; interested in 10 metre target shooting, .177 cal and under £500/$500?
Many thanks and good shooting!
clint1080

Post by clint1080 »

Hello Mark. I'm no expert, but I believe the only quality target air pistols in your price range are the Baikal IZH-46m or the lower quality Avanti 747.
clint1080

Post by clint1080 »

Or you may be able to find a deal in the used market.
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

Hi Mark
I was in your position a few months back, I first bought a FAS 604, (2 nd hand, then a Feinwerkbau C25 (CO2) also 2nd hand, once set up CO2 is a doddle and the FWBs last forever.
Certainly if one comes up you could be set up for GBP 500. inc the CO2 cylinder.

Post by Guest »

thanks for the advice guys; I think the 747 might be a good starting point for me; but I will trade up as my skills and finances improve!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The used Tau's in the Buy Sell forum are better than the 747.
markbradley

Post by markbradley »

thanks; I'll check them out! it mostly comes down to budget at the moment; or rather the lack of it!
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I understand the need to respect a budget (trust me) but if you want to head towards 10M AP shooting you should get a gun that is designed specifically for that and not just a really good pellet gun. The Tau's mentioned earlier fit the bill, as does a used IZH 46M or any of the other guns mentioned beside the 747. My first AP was an Izzy. Buying used is the best way to go since the pistol has already lost the "new" premium and a good pistol will hold ts value. if you take care of it, when it comes time to upgrade you will get most of your money back out of it.

IMHO, of course.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

There are lot of used FWB65s floating around. Top quality at a low price. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking you need a gas gun to be competitive.

A few others available cheap are a Pardini K58 or K60, Walther CP models, and FWB Model 2.

Any of the above would be FAR superior to what you are presently looking at.

Post by Guest »

Richard H wrote:The used Tau's in the Buy Sell forum are better than the 747.
A sharp stick in the eye is better than a 747!
Martino1

ANOTHER NEWBIE

Post by Martino1 »

A few years ago I had an opportunity to shoot a .177 airgun at a fishing resort in the Florida Keys. I hooked up with the folks involved with the event later and I have to sing this guy’s praise. I think there is a camaraderie amongst shooters of all kinds and Rob as I will call him, was no exception. He spent a lot of informing me about airgun shooting and refered me to this site. I found out the gun I was shooting was a Styer (not sure about spelling) but that was one sweet shooting piece of engineering. I may have to wait until next year before I have the nerve to ask Santa for one of those.

I just got a Ruger Mark III, to go along with my Mark II and now I’m so spoiled with the light trigger pull of the Styre that now I’d like to try to get same kind of trigger pull on my Rugers.

Any thoughts on anyone who works on Target 22’s in south Florida?

Thanks
markwarren

AP10m

Post by markwarren »

Hi Mark,

I am also called Mark, also live in England (Crewe) and also shoot 10m Air pistol :)

Are you a member of a club? If not try and find your local club and see what they have to offer. Many clubs have very good club guns that you can use. This gives you the opportunity to have a go with different pistols to see which you like without having to buy one straight away.

There are some UK based websites which have S/H pistols etc for sale - if you would like details please PM me. Unfortunately, buying from the US opens a whole can of worms relating to VAT, import taxes etc etc.

Cheers

Mark