Junior Olympics - Photography question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WJL

Junior Olympics - Photography question

Post by WJL »

My daughter will be attending the women's air JO this April at the OTC. I am interested in taking photos in the match venue. Can anyone comment on the lighting and a suggestion for a suitable lens ? Thanks for the help.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

No flash or hey may tar and feather you.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Mike is correct .... no flash photography is allowed.

The OTC is an interesting range. I've found my best photos are off a tripod.
You will be shooting about 5-7 meters behind the line.
All of the lights above the shooters are on the RH side of the beams above them, therefore shooting from the RH side of the range (so you can see the faces of most of the shooters) you will be shooting into strong light. The opposite from the LH side ... a bit darker.

Probably the absolute best advice I can give you is to call on Katie Yergensen:
http://www.usashooting.org/about/staff- ... /yergensen

She is the Media and PR person there and takes most of the official photos ... she'll give you the straight scoop
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What kind of camera are you using?

Like others said no flash also make sure that the illuminator for the autofocus doesn't come one either.

To compensate for that lack of natural light and flash you want to bring the fastest glass that you have, if you got it f 2.8 is good.
WJL

Post by WJL »

I am shooting a Nikon D80. In terms of lenses, I have an 18-200 and a 50/1.8, neither of which I think will be suitable. I am leaning towards purchasing an 85/1.8 or potentially renting a 70-200 for the weekend.

Thank you for the advice to call the PR gal. I will drop her a note tomorrow. Based on the descriptions of the venue, I worry about white balance as well.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

@WJL
Shoot in "RAW" and you can tinker w the white balance later on your your computer. RAW also gives you a bit more latitude for exposure error. Not a LOT but more than shooting in JPG.