aiming question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

jpd5184

aiming question

Post by jpd5184 »

just having some trouble aiming when i switch targets from left to right. when i move from a middle target to a left target the rifle always seems to want to go back to the middle one. i seem to be using my muscles a little bit to hold the rifle in place.

do you consistently adjust your body or what.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

To be brief, yes you must have a good NPA, natural point of aim,

I am assuming you are using a multiple target such as AR-5/10 or A-36?

If so, a good way to shoot them is to get a good natural point of aim on the sighter bull. Then shoot the bull below it and then the one above it(or vice versa if that is your preference) with only elevation NPA changes..

Then make a large NPA correction to the Bottom left bull(or top if that is your preference) and shoot all the bulls in the left column by making elevation changes to your NPA.

Then make a large NPA correction to the bottom or top bull in the right hand column.
jpd5184

Post by jpd5184 »

thats what i thougt, thats what others in the club were doing.

changing my npa. would i move my whole body to a new position. i have heard people just moving there feet and adjusting their npa that way.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

In prone you'll move your hips (slightly); in standing you move your foot (rear, slightly); in kneeling you'll use movement of the toe for left and right and elbow placement on the knee for elevation.

All changes are small (3/8" or less).

When going to the second target of a "card" (two targets hung side by side) you move your entire position.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Short answer is yes, you must change NPA for every column of targets. I've seen very successful shooters on the indoor 12-bull targets where they move their entire position over for each and every left or right bullseye change. I just moved my back foot for standing, rotated about my kneeling roll for kneeling and rotated about my left elbow in prone. I didn't have any major position change for 2nd target but had my position pretty much centered between the two targets to start with. Same thing goes for outdoor 5 or 6 bull 50yd or 50m targets.

Eric U
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Do you do the pre-shot routine where you:

close your eyes,
relax,
breathe in,
breathe out,
open your eyes and check aim,
adjust
repeat until perfect.

On the same aiming mark you would only have to fine tune the right elbow position, on a different aiming mark you would probably need to rearrange your body a bit as Pat and Eric have said.
Sometimes just moving the feet is enough (like on 10 bull cards with closely spaced aiming marks) but at some points you'll need to make larger adjustments.

Aiming using muscles is not ideal...

Ken.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I move position every aiming mark, muscling the gun around is asking for trouble as you have tension stored up and wouldn't be in a neutral position.

Rob.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

jpd5184 wrote: i have heard people just moving there feet and adjusting their npa that way.
Yes, especially in the prone position. Moving your feet will pivot your body slightly and you'll find you have a new NPA. It takes practice, a great item for your shooting journal writings.