Crossing USA/Canada Border with a Air Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jashcroft

Crossing USA/Canada Border with a Air Pistol

Post by jashcroft »

Thought I would ask: I'm from Canada and plan on taking my daughter to a competition south of the border. Is there anything I need to know about crossing the border with a AP. I know it's not a Firearm as per Canadian law because the velocity is less than 500 ft/sec. Is it ok to have the cylinders charged or should i drain them of all pressure. I'm a trapshooter and am use to crossing with shotguns with all the proper paper work with the ATF. I just don't want to cross the border and have a problem.
Any information appreciated.

John A
Southpaw

Post by Southpaw »

I'm also north of the border.
You should check with Canada Customs about bringing it back. That may be the most troublesome. The US customs are less concerned but may have trouble with your AP if it doesn't have a safety. That has caused trouble in the past.
Check with both Customs and get references to written policy including chapter, subsection etc., as opinions seldom count when crossing the border.

Regards,
Sp
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Travel across the border numerous times never had an issue on either side as its not a firearm. Big thing is answer the questions they ask, don't try to impress them with telling them more than they asked.
jashcroft

Post by jashcroft »

Thanks for the information. I will do a little homework prior to leaving.
coker

Post by coker »

Hi all,
remember that every State has different laws,, most of them are pretty similar, but always double check.
border check point is federal, but city police may have a different say.
as somebody said,, you may have more problems comming back to Canada than entering the US.
to my knowledge,, you need to do a lot of findings..
good luck