Banana's yay or nay (before shooting)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

AusTarget

Banana's yay or nay (before shooting)

Post by AusTarget »

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to completely avoiding foods/ drinks that can affect my body/mind during a shoot. This means no caffeine whatsoever, sugar is kept to almost zero if possible.

A mate of mine, who is in the NSW State Rifle Team (fullbore) told me that bananas are also a no go for shooting, due to the potassium causing an increase in heart rate. Because of this on training and comp days they are avoided, but I do eat them on off days.

The confliction is, that some reports say that the potassium in bananas acts as a muscle relaxant.

So is there any truth to this, that the banana can affect my overall heart rate? or that it can relax muscles or basically do both....?

Thanks
warrenp

Post by warrenp »

Matthew Emmons eats a bannana and peanut butter before a final, so they shouldn't be to bad!
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

P as for Potent???
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have been lucky enough to be the student of a two time world record holder and two time world champion. He would shoot his prone, and after wards have a few bites of a banana before standing and then again before kneeling so he would have a level blood sugar level.
I eat bananas before shooting, I love them and they give me enough energy to keep me focused.
Matt
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I have been lucky enough to be the student of a two time world record holder and two time world champion. He would shoot his prone, and after wards have a few bites of a banana before standing and then again before kneeling so he would have a level blood sugar level.
I eat bananas before shooting, I love them and they give me enough energy to keep me focused.
Matt
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Welcome Warren, nice to have you posting here.

Regards,
Ken.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

I guess its worth just testing it out during one training day, see if the extra energy makes the better of it.

Welcome to the forums Warren, maybe I'll see you around the SISC later.
Last edited by AusTarget on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
EJ

Post by EJ »

Potassium exists in more food items than just bananas; dried fruit, watermelon, most juices, nuts, seeds, potatoes (especially mashed, fries or chips) for example

But for your question, I have not seen it working as a muscle relaxant after a possible deficiency has been corrected. and yes, potassium is crucial to heart health but the body usually keep the blood levels within a strict interval. So unless you have a kidney condition I would not worry about a banana here and there[/img]
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Doing a bit of googling turns up some articles that suggest that low potassium might cause cause palpitations, muscle cramps and raised blood pressure - so I'd venture that a banana isn't a bad thing between qualification and the final.

A while back there was a suggestion that the Tryptophan in a Turkey sandwich could help with reducing anxiety... Hmmm.

I went through a few years of avoiding coffee but I've gone back to drinking "instant" and it hasn't seemed to have any adverse effect - filter coffee might be worse though.

Ken.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

I like my diet that I had for 1,5 years now and that is Low Carb High Fat. It gives constant blood sugar levels and no need for eating anything during competition. Even a whole 3x40 match is done without anything besides water.

And if you are suffering from having excess weight it will disappear to.

There is problems for the first 2-8 weeks when the body adapts to running on fat instead of sugar but then you get sharper, more sustainable etc. Read about it first so the effects when adapting is fully understood for it's a rough time.

Something worth looking up especially if you experience that the blood sugar levels varies and concentration with it.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Oh yes, I do understand potassium is not limited to bananas, but there is a generally higher amount in one.

However based on what you guys have said, it might be nothing to worry over. The muscle relaxant was only mentioned once, and I must say the article I found it on really didn't seem that trustworthy, but nevertheless these things creep into mind as to whether they're true or not.

I guess I do need the energy more in compy anyway.

@Johan_85 Thats a very interesting diet, I presume you mean complete good fatty foods, like avocado etc?

I wouldn't be able to follow that diet, as I do alot in the gym and rely on a pretty good ratio of carbs, protein etc, which does give me alot of energy throughout the day.
EJ

Post by EJ »

Austarget: incase you are interested;
Potato crisps: 1190 mg/100 g
almond: 740
sunflower seed: 690
raisins: 650
fries: 501
banana: 360
mashed potatoes: 290
Milk: 150

You do eat around 150 g of banana at a time so in total that would be around 500 mg.
But why do you need extra energy during a match? it's only 4 hours and that would be easily covered by your normal diet.

KennyB:
Tryptophan is a precursor to serotonin so a deficiency will result in something like that. But is more better?
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Well thing is EJ I do get along fine, energy wise, its just I'm training at odd times.

When I get home, I need something not too filling, so Im not laying on an entire meal, but something light that will give me the energy and focus I need.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

@AusTarget

On a LCHF diet you eat alot of meat, real butter, fish and of course avocado is good.

There is no problem with the training after you adapted to fat as fuel for the body. I can train in the gym and not eat for 4 hours without feeling that I have low energy levels.

I think it's a real good diet for shooting just because the even energy levels and before when I consumed carbs my blood sugar swayed alot and I was forced to eat every 3 hours to keep energy level constant.
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

I've been on the same diet as Johan for the last 6 months - lost 19 pounds (8.6 Kilos), can fit into clothes I bought 20 years ago & no more blood sugar issues.

Just cut out biscuits & cake, bread, potato, rice, pasta & pastry.
If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.
Easy.

KB.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Wow, seems like a rather interesting way to go.

Can you please example what one day of eating for you would be like on this diet?
Colin

Post by Colin »

KennyB wrote:I've been on the same diet as Johan for the last 6 months - lost 19 pounds (8.6 Kilos), can fit into clothes I bought 20 years ago & no more blood sugar issues.

Just cut out biscuits & cake, bread, potato, rice, pasta & pastry.
If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.
Easy.

KB.
That's a very good weight loss Kenny, but is this sort of diet healthy for you on a long term basis. Or is it short term for the weight loss.
I just thinking cholesterol levels that's all.If you have a very physical keep fit regime, you may have, that problem may be kept in check.
It's just the majority of people may be better with a balanced diet and a more physical outlook, I know I'm one of them.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Yeah I do have reservation towards this idea of low carb high fat.

I mean running on fat fuel doesn't sound too good on a long term basis. The body, especially when put to its extremes during physical exercises needs a good load of carbs for repair and recovery. Having such a restriction in diet, surely cannot be that healthy.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

That the cholesterol level should rise with LCHF is wrong. I know three people that bettered their cholesterol and blood pressure with LCHF. If you have diabetes type 2 then there is a good chance you can skip the medication.

Here in Sweden even some of the doctors have seen the thruth, one have this site. All science that is on that site have sources. There is the same reports about cholesterol and LCHF.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/

A normal work day I eat the following meals.

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, 1 cup of coffe with cream in it, canned mackerel in tomato sauce.

Lunch: For an example minced meat beef with stewed spinach. The stewing is with softcheese or cream.

Dinner: For an example meat from moose fried together with butter, cream and Crème fraîche. To that boiled broccoli is suitable.

Before i go to bed I often drink tea and eat some cheese, salami, ham maybe a boiled egg. It isn't necessary to eat this meal but i think it's nice, just a habit.

Here in sweden we have a very succesfull biathlete that won gold in the olympics and he eats LCHF. So that you need carbs for repair and recovery isn't true.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Another thing that is interesting is if you are suffering from excess weight you will loose it and when you reach your "normal" weight then the weight loss stops.

It's just fat that will go away all muscles remains. I have never had excess weight and I just lost 0,5kg when I changed my diet to LCHF. That was some water and fat.