Indoor / Outdoor Lighting

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Orion

Indoor / Outdoor Lighting

Post by Orion »

I usually train outdoors at a certain range and am beginning to get a better feel for how light effects the focus, the eye, and strain. However, the indoor range I go to I sometimes have to "fight" focus and strain due to back florescent lighting beyond 25 yards. I shoot with a modern pair of shooting glasses (yellow tint) with one eye tapped black. I haven't tried sunglasses indoors, but have noticed a lack of visibility on dot sights outdoors with them. Will a clip-on iris help solve these inefficiencies?

Thanks.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I don't think the iris will help. I don't know if the yellow tint helps either.

Do your shooting glasses have your prescription plus a "correction" to pull your focus to the front sight?

Smoking your sights may help a little.
mr alexander

Indoor/Outdoor Lighting

Post by mr alexander »

Orion,

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I noticed in your posting that you have "one eye taped black" on your shooting glasses. I too used to do this in the past; it kept me from seeing double - TWO TARGETS! A fellow shooter offered some advice that I follow to this day. Your eyes need all of the light that's available for optimal function. The black tape will definitely reduce the amount of light that can enter both of your eyes. As an alternative, toss the black stuff and try putting a small piece of "matte-finished",
Scotch-type tape over the lens of your non-aiming eye. You'll find it at any drug or office supply store. This tape is not the "clear" type that you can see through; instead it has a "frosted" appearance. This will still allow the maximum amount light to enter your eyes without the distractions of seeing two images. It has worked well for me for decades. I keep a spare roll of this tape in my gun box.
Orion

Re: Indoor/Outdoor Lighting

Post by Orion »

mr alexander wrote: Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I noticed in your posting that you have "one eye taped black" on your shooting glasses. I too used to do this in the past; it kept me from seeing double - TWO TARGETS! A fellow shooter offered some advice that I follow to this day. Your eyes need all of the light that's available for optimal function. The black tape will definitely reduce the amount of light that can enter both of your eyes. As an alternative, toss the black stuff and try putting a small piece of "matte-finished",
Scotch-type tape over the lens of your non-aiming eye. You'll find it at any drug or office supply store. This tape is not the "clear" type that you can see through; instead it has a "frosted" appearance. This will still allow the maximum amount light to enter your eyes without the distractions of seeing two images. It has worked well for me for decades. I keep a spare roll of this tape in my gun box.
Thanks, I'll try this.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Fluorescent lights are not ideal for shooting. If possible any light down range should be shining on the target, and not into your eyes. Some people use a bunch of different colored lenses in different lighting conditions. I shoot with prescription sun glasses (distance prescription ) outdoors always. Indoors, I use my regular bifocals. I cover my non sighting eye glass with a piece of white cloth medical tape. Lets in a lot of light and is much easier to peel off the glasses than scotch tape.
topclass52

indoor/outdoor

Post by topclass52 »

i use a white occluder in front of (mounted on my hat) non-shooting eye for the sam reason as suggested in an earlier post --let as much light in as possible to help me focus and reduce eye strain. I do this indoors and out.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Isabell, KISS.

Just fold over the end of the matte scotch tape and you have a tab to pull it off with. The scotch tape is best.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Rover wrote:Isabell, KISS.

Just fold over the end of the matte scotch tape and you have a tab to pull it off with. The scotch tape is best.
The medical tape is reusable. Have had one roll for four years and pieces stuck all over my box and my hearing protectors. I peel them off as needed.