sight alignment question

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

nockon

sight alignment question

Post by nockon »

Please bare in mind that I'm a newbie so if this sounds crazy, take it easy on me LOL

I find centering the front tube/globe in my peep sometimes difficult due to the bottom of the front tube being supported. What I mean is that because there is a section that is black at the bottom compared to a white ring for the rest of the sight, sometimes this cause me to missalign the sight in the vertical plane.

I competed in archery for over a decade and I didn't have that issue there and never had a problem keeping my sights aligned. Having said that and this is where my crazy idea comes from. Would it be a good idea to either paint the ring that holds my lenses( the side facing me when I sight in) with a lighter color. Some bow sights have this and it makes it easier for some to center the sights.

I thought that maybe there would be colored rings availlable for the front sight like they do for the rear iris but didn't find any online.

Am I the only one with this problem or is there a way somehow to get around it?

Cheers,

Claude
David Levene

Re: sight alignment question

Post by David Levene »

nockon wrote:I find centering the front tube/globe in my peep sometimes difficult due to the bottom of the front tube being supported. What I mean is that because there is a section that is black at the bottom compared to a white ring for the rest of the sight, sometimes this cause me to missalign the sight in the vertical plane.
I'm certainly no expert on all of the gizmos that rifle shooters use, but the above makes it a little unclear whether you are actually using an insert in the front sight or just trying to use the complete tube.

If you are using a metal(?) insert/element then you might want to change to plastic/glass. They just have the central ring with no apparent support.
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Specifically, this set is the one that I use for an Anschutz front sight.

Set of ten Apertures with Case for Anschutz ($20): http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 332&page=2

To the shooter, it looks like a black ring hanging in the air in the middle of the front sight. That set has ten inserts with rings of sizes from 2.4 to 4.2mm in size. For a picture of one of them, you can look at this item.

Anschutz Aperture Clear Plastic: http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 332&page=1

As I said, though, when looking through the rear peep sight that bevelled ring looks black to my eye. That lets me just center the bullseye in the floating ring of the insert with a tiny ring of white space around it and squeeze the trigger. If you give more info about what front sight you are using and what targets at what distance you are shooting at, the fine folks here can probably help you get exactly the right inserts as they did for me. They even make the inserts in different colors, too. :)
nockon

Post by nockon »

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I'm shooting an Anschutz 190(Canadian version) or also known as 1403. I do use the clear inserts with the hole in them.

What I'm trying to describe is when I align the tube that holds the lens within the peep. The bottom of the sight cuts off that perfect circle I'm looking for to align my sights. In the attached picture, it would be the square block at the bottom.

Hope this makes sense?

Cheers,
Attachments
Front Sight
Front Sight
steyr.jpg (23.18 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
JasonM

Post by JasonM »

Now I understand what you are talking about. I really like the dark black rear ring on the front sight making it easier to center it in the rear aperture, but it would be easy to toss some paint on it to try to see if it helped you, and easy to remove if you don't like it. I think I'd try changing the color/brightness of the stuff between that ring and the barrel first, though.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Another option if your head position permits is to use a raised from sight. They make them to where the front sight is elevated on a narrow post, which should help take some of the visual of the barrel and mounting block out of the picture.
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

If I understand your question correctly, one answer is to paint the base of the sight off white. A way to test it is to put a piece of masking tape on the front of the sight base. That will give you a dark circle all the way around.
nockon

Post by nockon »

I like the masking tape idea on the base. I will try that first and see if that works. Thanks a lot gdrisdale for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Claude