Sight risers

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bob Stewart

Sight risers

Post by Bob Stewart »

I'm looking to raise my sights up on my FWB 700 for standing, but am not really sure how much to raise them. How do you determine the elevation gain needed. Perhaps I should just purchase adjustable sight risers and experiment?

Thanks,
Bob
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

A good place to start is to get into position without sights. Then have a friend hold the sights up until you're looking through the center, and measure the distance between the sight base and the receiver. That will get you within a few mm either way.
justadude

Post by justadude »

Bob,

The standard "starter" riser block is 8mm. After that it is pretty easy to get risers in 4mm increments up to 24mm.

In most cases the height of the sight risers is not a precise adjustment, just get them in the general area. Cheek piece adjustment will take care of the fine tuning.

While there are adjustable risers out there they often are limited in how short you can make them. In some cases the added complexity and or fiddly little parts end up making the adjustables more a hassle than a beneficial piece of gear.

I am not sure if Eric is running his store right now but included here is a link to Uptagrafft LLC riser blocks. For the cost of some of the big name ajustables you can buy two sets and tinker.

http://shop.uptagrafftllc.com/Sight-Riser-Blocks_c2.htm

Unless you have an unusually long neck or long thin face for general 3P work you would likely do well to start with an 8mm set. If you said air rifle standing only then I might suggest 16mm

If you are feeling flush two 8mm sets would give you plenty to play with.

Happy New Year
'Dude
gtrisdale

Post by gtrisdale »

Remember that the maximum height for the front sight of an air rifle is 60 mm (ISSF rule 7.4.2.7.c).
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I started with 10mm. I was able to get good results, but felt that I was stretching my neck too much and bought an AHG 20mm set. Something to try for standing is shortening your length of pull and going with a taller set (16-22mm). If you move your sight rearward this might help reduce stretching your neck forward. My coach helped me with this and the position I use now is more natural and relaxed. I'm currently trying out a Centra set that can be adjusted from 4-22mm on pegs that screw together. Once assembled these are solid.
Regards
Vinny
Jordan1s

Post by Jordan1s »

hey there,

one way you can determine how much elevation you need is to get into your position without the cheekpiece and look down your sights. from there you can determine whether or not you need more or less elevation with your sights. however, should you need to buy riser blocks, i highly recommend the tec-hro system 2.0 riser blocks and distance kit. This will give you the option to raise the sights(11mm-31mm) and also give you the option to offset and cantilever the rear sight.
justadude

Post by justadude »

A little clarification on the air rifle sight location is that you can have a maximum of 60mm from the centerline of the barrel to the center of the front sight. It is all based on centers, not outside diameters.

Dude
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

I use and recomend the Centra Club, adjustable from 4 - 22 mm, I think this will be the ones Vinny is talking about.
Good Shooting
Robin
randy1952

Re: Sight risers

Post by randy1952 »

Bob Stewart wrote:I'm looking to raise my sights up on my FWB 700 for standing, but am not really sure how much to raise them. How do you determine the elevation gain needed. Perhaps I should just purchase adjustable sight risers and experiment?

Thanks,
Bob
Does your P700 have the built in sight risers?
Bob Stewart

Sight risers

Post by Bob Stewart »

Thank you for the replies.

I'll try removing the rear sight and then get my head in a comfortable position then use some spacers to get the rear sight close to where it needs to be and then measure that distance. As it stands now, I've got the butt plate at the bottom of its travel and the cheeckpiece is down as well and I'm still trying to bring my head down lower. I think I'll probably wind up with the adjustable risers.

Randy my rifle is the 700Basic and did not come with the Vario sights unfortunately.

Thank you again everyone,
Bob
justadude

Post by justadude »

Hi Bob,

Re-reading the entire thread I gather that you only shoot offhand. While it is good that someone asked I had also assumed that you had one of the FWB700s that did not have the built in adjustable sight risers.

The various responders have pitched everything from basic riser blocks to the latest offerings from Centra and Tec-HRO. Something to keep in mind here is having something that matches or kind of fits with both the rifle and your experience level: One end, basic block, the other end, lots of small parts.

From my own experience, I own a set of Centra "Block Max" adjustable riser blocks, when you open the little capsule and then the enclosed zip lock bags I have 30 pieces layed out on my workbench. Lots of fiddly little parts that are easy to lose. I played with them a bit on an older FWB 601. In the end, I put them back in their capsule and instead installed a basic set of 8mm risers and then put a Centra "Track" for some side to side offset on top of that. Total I get about 17mm rise. Also I am using a 18mm front sight tunnel. (a 22mm tunnel would call for less riser) If you study the setup on the rifles of the top shooters, most of them look to have sight blocks set in this range, 15mm plus or minus a bit.

Honestly it is only the most skilled shooter that is going to be able to tell if his or her sights are a millimeter too high to too low so that level of refinement for most shooters is not necessary. The side to side of the Track is very helpful in compensating for the limited adjust ability of the older cheekpiece. Now a limitation of the Centra "track" is that I had to make a little device to help me set and move the side offset consistently, which creates another level of fiddling. The Centra "Club" vertically is adjustable in a good range but from what I know, horizontal offset is fixed to either 4mm or 0mm but nothing in between.

What I am preaching here, is you will likely be better off with some basic risers, probably two 8mm sets, (And I really don't care who makes them) and spending time concentrating on fundamentals than tinkering with 1 and 2mm adjustments in an area where such small adjustments rarely affect performance.

Just my two cents on the whole topic.

Cheers,
'Dude