How to remove putty from wood grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
allergy

How to remove putty from wood grip?

Post by allergy »

Hi,

My previous coach put a grey-coloured putty on the wood grip of a loaned LP1. I am no longer in contact with that coach.

Would appreciate any advice on how to remove this?

I am new to this forum, if this is posted in the wrong section, pls let me know. Thanks!!
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would try putting the grip in the freezer for a while then giving the putty a sharp rap with a hardwood stick (hammer handle?).
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I use the spatula for opening the watch back cover. I used it to open my watch that has a snap on back cover. It has a sharp but non cutting edge. I wedge it on the wood/putty interface. Gently tap it with a hammer. The whole putty interface will just come undone.
allergy

Post by allergy »

Thanks Seamaster and Rover!
sakurama

Post by sakurama »

I just dealt with this as I bought a Hammerli 208 that came with some very ugly (and not well fitting) build up. It seems it was two different material; one was a firm green putty and the other was a brown autobody type putty that was just globbed on and then poked with holes. Ugly.

The green putty just popped off with a little persausion from a knife but the brown putty was very well bonded on. I used a knife to gently scrape off the bulk of it and then 80 grit sand paper. I tried a flap wheel in a dremmel but it was too agressive but worked for the hollow areas that were hard to sand by hand. Mostly it was patience and working up in the grits (80-100-150-220-red scotchbrite) and trying to not take off too much wood with the putty. Since the grip was so ugly I didn't really have anything to lose and I'd already had some practice with my IZH 46 pistol.

Here's what the putties looked like before:

I'll try to get a shot of the finished job tomorrow.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

I would prefer to chip putty off as one big piece. In my experience trying to dremmel off old putty to powder would be just that, powders galore!!

Worst of all is letting those dremmeled putty powder coating the action and trigger mechanism, that would be gunk galore. In baseball, that's called a long run for a short slide.
allergy

Post by allergy »

Thanks Sakurama for the effort in showing me the process and photo! The green putty looks like chewing gum! :) Eeks.

I don't think I can bring the grip home, so the freezing method is out, although, I have to say it seems to be easiest! So, I'll try the spatula method and maybe using the wooden handle of the hammer as well.
sakurama

Post by sakurama »

Yes, there's dust involved from the sanding so I take the grip off (which was a good excuse to clean the gun). I remove the grip to do that and then screw it together again off the gun so as to keep the join even. If you can remove the grip and take it home you could probably do it in an evening.

Here's the finished grip. Sanded to 220 and then wiped down with water and let dry (brings up the grain) and then sanded once more. I wiped the grip down with two coats of Danish oil (cherry color for warmth) and then let it dry overnight. The next day I scuffed it with white scotchbrite. It fits much nicer and looks a bit better too.

Good luck.
allergy

Post by allergy »

Wow, looks like new