techniques/shortcuts for lining up with the target?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jordan1s

techniques/shortcuts for lining up with the target?

Post by Jordan1s »

Hello,

I was curious as to what methods you guys use to line yourself up correctly with the target(given there is no reference line on the firing range). I find that lining up to the target properly takes several tries and too much time during the preparation period; a period which i would like to spend more time on getting mentally prepared and physically settled.

thanks!

-Jordan
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Hey Jordan,

When you are either indoors or outdoors, you always want to use reference points down the range. When indoors, things like rafters, ceiling tiles, floor tiles and cut lines in the floor (cement) are good references. Outdoors is a little more difficult to find the center. Again, using references such as range flags would help.

No matter what, checking that Natural point of aim is a mandatory when finally in position.

I wouldn't throw so much emphasis on finding the perfect center line, spending all the time you are talking about. Just get in that general area and check that natural point of aim.

Keep it simple
Here to help,
Thatguy
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

One of the items I've seen used is a folding yardstick. It's small, can be used as a reference line, and you can also use it as an indicator to get your foot spread consistent (line the folding portion up on the 50ft/10m/50m mark as applicable, and use some tape, etc to indicate the spread for your back foot).
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Indoor ranges are about the only time I think about using the firing line to help line up with the target, but many indoor 50ft/10m ranges don't get it exactly right. When you start going to outdoor ranges, they're almost never right.

This is why you get to matches early and use your prep time. I make a guess placing my mat on the ground, get in position in line with the mat and see where I'm at. I adjust my NPA to the target, see where I'm at then, and move the mat accordingly to be under me. Then the rest of the day for prone matches, I'm set.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Most shooters with at least a moderate degree of experience will have a pretty fair idea of the angle that they require to lay their mat to the target. I have also noticed that all shooters carry around them a useful straight item that's handy for determining orientation, the rifle! Lay rifle on mat at required orientation then move mat until rifle points at target, job done.

The procedure for kneeling is a bit more involved but that for standing slightly more straightforward.

Rutty