lp400 vs lp10

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tonyv138

lp400 vs lp10

Post by tonyv138 »

I am curios, anyone who has hands on experience with both who can do blow by blow comparison?

thanks
flolo

Post by flolo »

Had an lp10, lp10e and recently the walther lp400 carbon.
The main difference besides weight and balance imho is the way to adjust the stabilizer, which on the walther can be done by a small screw on the outside without taking half of the gun apart. Testing also showed that the lp400 seems to like light pellets whereas the steyrs liked rifle pellets.
Adjustin the depth of the rear sight is also easier on the walther.after all tuning to your needs seems to be easier on the lp400. Also in terms of grip adjustment. On the other hand, the steyr is a competition proven design and overall build quality should be better while the walther felt a little hurried together( i had to clean the trigger assembly to get constant release). So, from a technical view, i think the lp400 is as goods as it gets, with a slight advantage over the lp10, and the lp10e loosing against both of them. If it's better in competition still has to be shown. I sold all three and am more than happy with my dead-simple, technical stone-aged morini.
BEA

Walther vs Steyr

Post by BEA »

Another thing to consider is parts availability for the Walther. Up until a little over a year ago, I was shooting a Walther. The importer is Champions Choice and they would not sell me any seals or o rings. They wanted the pistol shipped to them due to "liability." It is time consuming and expensive to have to ship a AP for something as simple as a rubber o ring. For this reason alone, I would avoid the Walther (even though they make a good product).
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

I would venture to say that support for older Walther air pistols is lacking when compared to Steyr, Morini, or Pardini... Not a problem now but might be a problem in the future.
flolo

Post by flolo »

The older walthers including the lp300 are not comparable to the 400 as they all suck ( more or less). Walther now made the right step by putting a hämmerli trigger into the 400 and improved their creepy something into a decent trigger. But it's true: you have to send the gun to the factory for any repair, and i'm a little disappointed that they outsorced their reliability control to the customer.
flolo

Post by flolo »

The older walthers including the lp300 are not comparable to the 400 as they all suck ( more or less). Walther now made the right step by putting a hämmerli trigger into the 400 and improved their creepy something into a decent trigger. But it's true: you have to send the gun to the factory for any repair, and i'm a little disappointed that they outsorced their reliability control to the customer.
jbshooter

LP400 Grip adjustment

Post by jbshooter »

Has anyone had experience in adjusting the grip on a LP400. The brochure says you can adjust the grip in three directions and the memory feature means you can remove the grip without losing your setting. Does the grip rotate left to right in the same way matchguns do, and is this also set in the memory? How does the LP400 react when it goes off - is there any muzzle "flip" or movement? Is it like the Morini or the LP10 or in between?
Lior

Post by Lior »

Have adjusted the grip on the LP00 a lot. Basically a rod connects the grip to the frame, and this rod can be adjusted in pitch, bank and yaw, to borrow aeronautical terms. You can remove the grip from the rod and replace it without losing the memory.

The LP400 shoots just as nicely as the LP10. One caveat is that you have to tighten the rearmost screw of the compensator to prevent it from scratching the air cylinder when the barrel vibrates during firing.

I find both pistols a joy to shoot, but confine myself to the LP400. The LP10 I competed with had a narrower front sight than the smallest of the Walther's.
jbshooter

bold statement

Post by jbshooter »

I believe the LP400 is "Ready for London" and will get to the podium.
David Levene

Re: bold statement

Post by David Levene »

jbshooter wrote:I believe the LP400 is "Ready for London" and will get to the podium.
Possibly, but only if one of the medalling shooters uses it.

It certainly won't get there by itself. The gun is only a small part of a winning package.
RobStubbs

Re: bold statement

Post by RobStubbs »

David Levene wrote:
jbshooter wrote:I believe the LP400 is "Ready for London" and will get to the podium.
Possibly, but only if one of the medalling shooters uses it.

It certainly won't get there by itself. The gun is only a small part of a winning package.
It can easily get to the podium, it's getting on the podium that matters, and ideally on the top step.

I certainly wouldn't bet on it getting there, not enough world class shooters are using it.

Rob.