MARK II AMMO CHOICES

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Steve N

MARK II AMMO CHOICES

Post by Steve N »

I must have been good this year because I'm getting a new Savage MKII BRJ with a Simmons 3-9X40 scope for Christmas. I'm planning to shoot some rimfire sporter matches in the area, plus fun shoot to see how accurately I can shoot longer distances (75-100 yds).

I picked up a box of Remington Target by Eley. Is this ammo consistent? I do have a local source for a few of the top brands, and will order in bulk once I find a consistent ammo. Any other off-the-shelf ammo worth trying, i.e. CCI, etc?

Post by Guest »

The lots I tried shot very well. A State, National champion and 3 time National record holder is shooting it in our matches. Convinced?
Chris
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Anonymous wrote:The lots I tried shot very well. A State, National champion and 3 time National record holder is shooting it in our matches. Convinced?
Chris
I tried the Remington-Eley in my Mark II BTV and was disappointed compared to the results I got with CCI-SV and Wolf MT/ME. You may find completely different results than me. Since you can get various different ammos locally, you really have nothing to lose by testing before you order in bulk. CCI Standard Velocity and Wolf MT/ME have all been good to me, while the Eleys not so much. As far as I can tell, most of the Remington Target ammo is junk, at least out of my rifles. As with all things .22, YMMV.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I tried both CCI-standard velocity and the Remington Target by Eley today. I fired 50 rounds of the CCI first, then 20 of the Remington (ran out of time to shoot more of the Remington). With the my forehand resting on a table, the CCI shot tighter groups for me. My last 5 shots were tight, and could be completely covered by a AA battery. The Remingtons shot consistently about 3/4" to the left and had more vertical stringing. I was shooting indoors, 50 ft. range, 6X scope setting. Not bad considering my table, gun and body shook every time the guy in the lane next to me fired his .454 Casull.