Benelli MP95e 22 is doubling

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Trooperjake

Benelli MP95e 22 is doubling

Post by Trooperjake »

I just got the pistol, it is about 6 years old.
I shot it around 500 rounds with no trouble, then 3 mags in a row had 2 doubles and one triple go off.
Any ideas what i should do?
sakurama

Post by sakurama »

Sorry this isnt helpful to you but I keep hearing the term "doubling" but I can't figure out what it means. Would you mind explaining it? Sorry, I'm new to bullseye and have never heard this term.

G
FredB

doubling

Post by FredB »

Doubling is firing two shots with only one trigger pull.

The Benelli .22 does not have a firing pin return spring, i.e. the firing pin is free floating. So one possibility might be that there is some crud in the firing pin channel and the pin is hanging up in the forward position. Maybe a good cleaning of the pin and channel will help with the problem.

FredB
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

Take out the bolt and remove, check and clean your firing pin. Clean and lube the slide rails. I would replace the firing pin spring as a weak one would allow a slam fire. I would also check your sear-hammer engagements under a magnifying glass to make sure all the edges are sharp. Hope this helps.
Chris
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Mine would do the same thing occasionally when I was using Federal AutoMatch ammo, as velocity is ~ 1,200 fps (presumably a bit too hot) when I switched over to CCI SV or Wolf MT the problem went away entirely. Now with well over 5,000 rounds through not a single issue.

Is your .22LR ammo between 1,040 - 1,070 fps range?
jjj69z

Post by jjj69z »

Check your recoil buffer.When mine fell apart it caused my mp95 to double. Hope this helps. Larry's Guns has replacements in stock made out of better material
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Thanks for the good advise, it did happen with the Federal Auto Match,
I had just changed the buffer pad. I did inspect the hammer, sear and it looked OK, will try cleaning the firing pin channel. I also increased the sear engagement. Will try it again in a couple of days.
I love the way the pistol feels in my hand, and the trigger pull.
But I keep hearing that the engineering of the pistol is very poor compared to other European pistols.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I have used a 95 22 and a 90 32 for quit a while now and the only drawback I see is that you must not dry fire even accidently. The firing pins will break on either the 22 or 32. They are cheap and easy to put in but I make every effort to count my 5 shots and never let someone else shoot more than the 5. I spent some time polishing the parts in the 95, especially the plastic tube. Now I like the trigger on the 95 better than the more adjustable 90 because I can have the trigger break pretty cleanly without any creep. With the 90 I can't get it to do that and the best I can get is a fairly long roll trigger. They are made for rapid fire and not slow fire so the roll trigger is loved in Europe. I have a lot more trouble with extractors in the 32 than the 22. You must keep the groove in the barrel where the extractor resides clean. Otherwise it can get knocked out. If you lose one and put a new one in, round the edges that don't grab the case because it is a stamped part and needs refining. The next drawback is mounting scopes because since the ejector is part of the magazine you never know where the empty is going. Some just throw the empties in the right place and others don't. I shoot mine with irons so I don't care. Several of my friends have Walthers, Hammerli's and a Fas and they all have good and bad points. Maybe one of us needs to try a Pardini.
As far as doubling is concerned you are on the right track adjusting the sear. If adjustment doesn't work take the sear and striker out (easy on the 95) and recheck it. Next, be careful to not show too much glee in your timed and rapid sequences when they go way up. It can cause consternation among competitors. -- Bill --
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Thanks Bill:
i just got back from the range, no more problems.
I may soften the sear engagement some, it it now a little heavy, doesn't break as clean as it did before.
I also have a 32, it is nothing but trouble with feeding.
It feeds fine with Fiocchi factory ammo, but cannot get reliable feeding.with reloads. I have tried roll crimps and factory crimp.
The best load I got to feed is 1.0 of VV310 with 98 & 100 gr bullets.
The normal load is 4.0, the 1.0 is very light and under the recommended
Load. I had larry go over the pistol at Perry this past summer, after 3 tries,
It still is only reliable with Fiocchi. He said he did not see anything wrong with my ammo. It is very reliable in my GSP. But I shoot the 95 so much better. With a load of 1.5 VV310 the Benelli will clean the 10 ring at
50 yards in the ransom rest.
Marty
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Is it possible that your brass is all different length and therefore causing your crimp to vary. A small case requires everything to be just right. Another question which seems silly but is the alibi almost always on the third round and does the front of the bullet catch on the top of the barrel.

Some of the loads you read about in books are for revolvers and are kind of hot for Semi's like the Benelli and others like it. My load for 25 yards is 1.2 of a pull down powder called Russian Unique from HiTech (no longer available) so that doesn't mean much to you but it goes right at 500 fps. If 450 is good enough for a pellet, 500 is good enough for bullseye however I always holler bang when I pull the trigger just for courtesy so everyone will know I fired. -- Bill --
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I even went through the trouble of sorting the brass by make and length.
Yes it jams at the top of the chamber. When it jams, it can be at any round count.
My GSP does not have any feeding problems.

If any ISU shooters are out there, what loads do you use in this pistol?

I may give it a chance with a very lite load.
The fear i have is, some very lite loads are as dangerous as hot loads.
Marty
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I don't think I would worry about a light load because if the bullet doesn't make it out of the barrel it won't recock either, and any failure to recock that sounds light should be investigated anyway. My Dillon won't go lower than 1.2 with that powder or I would be tempted to go lighter. I don't know how light I could go and still have reliability but at the 1.2 load it still throws the brass a couple of feet. My load will still give about 2 inches at 25 yards but it might deteriorate quickly if I go slower which would negate any gains. The load is pretty light but less might be better. I might try my RCBS powder measure to see how low I could go. -- Bill --
MIshooter

Doubling

Post by MIshooter »

A fellow shooter had this happen to his. Problem turned out to be too tight headspace. When the gun fired and residue built up in the slide face the returning slide crushed the rim ever so slightly and the gun would fire. Recovered cases showed the first with a FP strike, the second case did not have a FP indent. Have you checked the cases?

Ed
Trooperjake

Doubling to MIshooter

Post by Trooperjake »

Mass shooter was right, I stopped using the federal automatch and switched to CCI standard. No more doubles. Seems like all benelli's both 22 and 32's will not handle hot rounds.