MP90 vs. SP New

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

mr alexander

MP90 vs. SP New

Post by mr alexander »

I am looking at upgrading to 1 of these pistols in .22 caliber. I shoot in a small league and no there owns any of these guns, so I haven't even had the chance to hold one. Seeking advice, comments and experiences from those of you who either own one or who had the chance to try another person's pistol. If finances would allow it, I'd just buy both of them outright to see which one I liked and shot best with, but that's not an option with today's economy being what it is. What did you like and not like about each gun? How do the 2 compare to each other with regard to: grip angle, available grips sizes, trigger feel, overall weight, balance, reliability, ease/methods of dot sight mounting, and materials used in their construction? Feel free to comment on any other feature/aspect of these guns that I did not mention. I realize that a lot depends on each person's unique perceptions; all of this is really very subjective when you get down to it. But, I would like to hear what you have to say. I'd also like to know what mainly influenced your decision to buy the pistol that you did. What were you shooting previously? I am still shooting a 34 year old High Standard Victor with a 1" Ultradot (4 MOA) using a High Standard-made cantilever barrel mount.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You currently own an excellent pistol. Have you considered adding a pair of custom "Olympic style" grips. They can really perk up your gun.

There's a lot of info if you do a search in the Olympic Pistol forum.
Amanda4461

MP90s vs. SP-New

Post by Amanda4461 »

I have had both at the same time. Bought the MP90s first from a S.C. dealer after seeing it in the case, and thought it had the best trigger of any pistol I had ever shot. I still think it has the best trigger, straight out of the box. The Benelli never jammed, ftf, or did anything bad. It was a minor pain to clean. I shot high Expert with it most of the time after I had about 40,000 rounds downrange. I had an Ultradot mounted that never came off, and I never even used the irons, which were nice sights if I had needed them.
Since I aint never satisfied, I bought an SP-22 New from Larry's Guns. The Pardini made it clear why it was a popular choice. The grips feel better, the pistol's recoil impulse is less noticeable, and the Ultradot in Larry's mount works out better than the Benelli, but only because the Pardini can be taken down for a proper cleaning of the trigger group and barrel. What really sold me on the Pardini amounted to two items; Grip Angle and Grouping ability. The Pardini just felt "right" to me, although some folks hate the grip angle. At 50 meters the Pardini group was 1/2 the size of the Benelli, and the Benelli group was pretty much all 10-ring with just a few 9s. I'll take a better group any day. The Pardini so far, after about 6,000 rounds, shows little wear, and is upholding the Benelli's feat of zero malfunctions.
Larry's Guns does a fabulous job of providing the equipment, and has even gone so far as to call me up and track me down to sell me some hard-to-get magazines for the Pardini. Deanna knew I was interested in buying extra mags, and provided me the opportunity to buy them when they came in. Doesn't sound like much, but try finding parts for either pistol right before Perry, and you might be surprised. Both guns have periods of time when parts or accessories get scarce. Since neither has ever broken, I cannot comment on the service available for them.
Either way, you'll have a fine pistol that will positively remind you that the problem with your grouping ability lies with you, not the gun. Better buy several mags, they are addictive and fun.
Amanda4461