Hosting a Air Rifle Clinic

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Will Lennon

Hosting a Air Rifle Clinic

Post by Will Lennon »

I run a MCJROTC Program and I am the coach of our air rifle team. In an effort to promote the team, I would like to host a Air Rifle Safety and Marksmanship Clinc for middle school age kids. My intitial thougts are to run is once or twice a week in the evening for 6 weeks. I intend on using the CMP Safety Guide for Junior Shooters and the saftey exam as the safety curriculum. Beyond that I have not come up with any more details. ANy thoughts, ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

Will
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

My recommendation would be to run it all on one weekend.

Either Fri evening (say 1700-2100) then Saturday 800-finish
--or--
Sat 8-5/6 then Sunday 8-1300-1400

Where I am (NM), trying to do this over 6 weeks would guarantee that most would not make the entire session schedules. Too many other activities, especially for the JROTC kids.

You might want to contact Bob Foth at USA Shooting and see if he could give you some tips (maybe his outline) ... he used to (and still may) do a great weekend pairs clinic which was one of the best junior shooting clinics offered.

Where are you from?
Will Lennon

Post by Will Lennon »

jh,

Thanks for the reply. I am in WA. The weekend idea is definitley a possiblity. Especially, being as this is designed as an intro to the air rifle team.

Thanks
Will
af_one

Post by af_one »

Ironically, I am planning the same thing with my AFJROTC air rifle program. I am scheduling a 7 and 8th grade clinic, so I axiously await your responses, as I am in need of guidance as well.
TDay9

Post by TDay9 »

One thing that works for us that you might consider is we have a 4 hour "Open House-Air Rifle Safety Course" that we spend about 2 hrs teaching safety, air rifle familiarization and marksmanship fundamentals and about 2 hours on the range shooting from a benchrest position. We have flyers for our 6 week Air Rifle Introduction Course (3-Position) and encourage those that would like to continue in the sport to sign up. We have anywhere from 25 to 50% sign up for the 6 week program and that's OK because the ones that don't still left with some valuable gun safety training.
shootright

Post by shootright »

Our Jr. shooting club run weekend 1 day, 8 hour clinic ($40.00) and over the summer we run 4 day 8 hour a day shooting camp (100.00).

We use CMP Safety Guide for Junior Shooters and the 25 qt safety exam as the safety curriculum. We do 3 1/2 class time must pass test 80% rest of the time while grading test the kids eat lunch. We brake down 45 min's per position than for the last part we do 3P shooting. I have a power point that I added all the Boy scout requirements and we do merit badges. We start with ages 7-18 Daisy make's a 845 mentor rifle (one pump, smooth bore) approved for state level 3p. We use this rifle for 7-11 or undersized kids to let them shoot.
We hope other state out there start using this rifle we would like to start a national shoot.
I have a 7 year old that shoots 259 points out of 600 and a undersized 11 year old girl shoots 290's out of 600.

We use the CMP Riflery program awards http://www.odcmp.com/Training/SkillAwards.html

We have the kids keep shooting as they keep trying to increase there shooing skill level. This works great.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I chatted with Bob Foth this past weekend, and he is still available will do his "Pairs Clinic" or a modified version. Of course with the Para-Olympics coming along later in 2012 he'll start getting busy, but if you desire, you can contact him at USA Shooting.

I'm looking at grabbing him for a smallbore clinic early next year.

It's great to have an Olympic Silver medalist come and work with your kids.....
latin123

Post by latin123 »

I appreciate with you.....
smith120

Post by smith120 »

San Francisco has attractions galore and it is difficult to rank them or draw up a list of the best of San Francisco. Again, the list of attractions might as well vary from one individual to another depending on one's preferences. Nonetheless an honest attempt can still be made to provide a list as comprehensive as possible.

http://www.onlinetvcast.com/shows
randy1952

Re: Hosting a Air Rifle Clinic

Post by randy1952 »

Will Lennon wrote:I run a MCJROTC Program and I am the coach of our air rifle team. In an effort to promote the team, I would like to host a Air Rifle Safety and Marksmanship Clinc for middle school age kids. My intitial thougts are to run is once or twice a week in the evening for 6 weeks. I intend on using the CMP Safety Guide for Junior Shooters and the saftey exam as the safety curriculum. Beyond that I have not come up with any more details. ANy thoughts, ideas or experiences would be appreciated.

Will
The other alternative if you want to run beyond a weekend is to run a clinic during the summer.