SSP or GSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
NDbullseye

SSP or GSP

Post by NDbullseye »

Which Walther do you like better??? Pros and cons of each. I am looking for input thinking of getting a nice pistol.
ISSFFP

SSP vs GSP

Post by ISSFFP »

I own both and hoping that my experience will be a bit useful.

1. Precision
Both pistols can shoot better than the shooter so this is not an issue.

2. Flexibility
GSP can be converted easily between .32 S & W and .22 l.R. which means you can shoot in both Standard and Center competitions with one pistol. SSP is only for .22 l.r. desgin for Standard and rapid fire discipline.

3. Design
GSP and GSP Expert is very modular in design. Each part can be dissemble easily for cleaning and maintenance. It will be a workhorse for a very long service time.

SSP on the other hand is a more delicate pistol with some new design. If you read the manual, there may be something that confuse you if you are not an expert. For example, there is an internal buffer which can regulate recoil, there is a little tool to regulate the two screws in front and below the barrel. However, I never few much difference using ammos like Pistol Match Special /Pistol match.

The magazine design is also more delicate for the SSP and as it has to be loaded from the top into the magazine well inside the grip. Even with my not too big fingers I have a problem sometimes that I will press the bullets and as a result, it cannot load because the angle is too flat. I have to check every time that it is loaded correctly in competitions.

I could say the GSP is like a Land Rover or Jeep, you can abuse the pistol and it still operates. Whereas the SSP is a modern car, if you open the bonnet there is little you can touch.

The rear sight of the SSP is its weakness. It uses one single screw to adjust vertical adjustments and locking the rear sight to the frame. In prolong service there is a potential risk that the wear may need more frequent services and replacements.

Shooting
I think from the design, the two pistols behave quite differently. The GSP is a middle load pistol so the center of gravity is at the front. Especially with the GSP Expert which has more or less an integrated barrel weight. It is good to control recoil in the rapid fire stages and less barrel flipping. However, you have to train yourself to be a stronger man.

The SSP is lighter, it has a longer barrel so it seems making a bit difference when shooting in the hand for higher precision and not from a rest.

The recoil is also light and the barrel flip is predicable. I feel I have more time to aim even for the 10 secs. stage in Standard pistol competitions. The sight returns to your aim is faster than the GSP.

I do not compete in rapid fire but once I borrow my SSP to a rapid shooter to try. His comment is the flipping is more or less horizontal so it can be quite a nice tool for rapid fire.

From top level competitions and especially for ladies, I can see SSP is quite popular and just like the old Hammerli 208/208s.

Whereas for male shooters who shoot both center fire and standard, the Pardini is more popular.
NDbullseye

Post by NDbullseye »

Thank you for your insight on both pistols. It gave me alot more insight on both pistols.
ISSFFP

Post by ISSFFP »

Don't mention it. It is a pleasure sharing. I always feel that it is very personal thing in choosing a psitol. If possible, try yo get one from your fellow shooting friends and feel it in your owns hands. I also shoot in air pistol but from the very beginning, I never like the Steyr LP1 and I have a Morini and I never regret on my choice. Especially when I start in free pistol using the Morini 84E though a lot of friends recommend me the Hammerli .
CamelNL

Post by CamelNL »

About half a year ago i did make the same decision. I was shopping in our local shop and tried them all. The SSP fits me like a glove and the weight is just good. I dont like the more heavy guns.