Angled .45 scope mounts ?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Dr.Lee

Angled .45 scope mounts ?

Post by Dr.Lee »

Why are some competition guns fitted with the scope tilted forward. Is this necessary? Thanks in advance.

Dr.
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I'm not sure I understand your question.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I'm not sure either. It is pretty important for your scope to line up reasonably well with the bore of your gun so you have room to adjust all directions to bring the dot into the ten ring. If you set the scope too high it can sometimes be hard to lower it enough to line up with the bore. If you did run out of clicks tilting the scope slightly downward might allow you to get your adjustments back into the middle of the range for the adjustment screws.

I have certainly never noticed any other bullseye shooters on the line with a scope tilted noticeably forward. The aimpoint micro on a Brenzovich mount on a AW-93 looks like it tilts forward just a tad but that is because the pistol itself is not level across the top.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

I think to theory is being that in lock up, the barrel is not sitting parallel in the slide. In order not to run out of elevation at 50 yds. the mount milled on an angle pitched forward. Sort of like the 20 moa pitched forward scope bases for long range rifles.

Dr.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

About 15 years ago I put a Les Baer scope mount on a friends pistol. I didn't know exactly whether to put it on square with the frame or what, so I looked at a factory job. It was tilted .050 down in the front measured off the bottom of the flat on the frame where it starts to curve compared to the bottom of the mount so that is about .050 in near 2 1/4 inches. I went through great pains to get the other one the same and fortunately it came out exactly right. It seems quite possible that frames might vary but for me it worked out perfectly. The other frame was an older Colt. I don't see an easy way to measure if the top of the mount is tilted compared to the top of the slide but it looks to be tipped down to the front by a bit but not much.
Dr.Lee

Post by Dr.Lee »

Thanks for the info, looks like I have a "winter project" now !

Dr.