Neck Pains Help

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Eric U

Post by Eric U »

FWB,

Ok, I'm going to be the bad guy here, but by what standard are you an authority on prone positions...where your tricep-on-the-ground position is the only way to go? Your question about ammo speeds tells me you have probably been doing this for two years tops. There is only one universal truth in shooting and that is there is no one-size-fits-all position. One of my pet peeves is when a new shooter passes himself off as an expert on the internet when in reality he is far from it. The damaging views he passes on to other new shooters who don't know better can take years to fix. I appreciate your enthusiasm but try to keep an open mind to the possibility that there are other quite viable position options out there.

Eric U
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

Last edited by AusTarget on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thedrifter

Thanks

Post by Thedrifter »

I would just like to thank everyone that helped me with my problem.

I feel alot more comefortable now the two big things that i changed that helped the most was the but plate spacer and fliping the but pad.

on the topic about my rear sight being too close i looked into it and this is what i discovered my rear iris maxes out at 1.6 so i dont get enough light around my front apt because its a larger unit so i figure my options are

bloop tube
new front sight
new rear iris

i decided I am going to be ordering a new rear iris the new anschutz ones go the 3.0 about twice the size i currently have and i can order one that has more trinkets that i dont need.

Anyways Thanks again for all your help i will be shooting in a 3200 prone match this weekend and i will let you know the results when all said and done, and how everything went.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

If you have the money, you might want to consider some rear sights from Gehmann, they have adjustable colour diopters, you can change the iris size by twisting it to different levels. They have a few other options, but that is largely dependant on what model you get. They price range from $50-$180 so they're not too pricey.
Martin Catley

Rear Peep

Post by Martin Catley »

I am pleased you are more comfortable adjusting the Butt set up as suggested, I said I would not chime in again but.

Think very carefully before altering or going to an enormous Rear Peep, 1.6 is way beyond what most would use ( .9_1.2 is a common range) you will loose any of the focusing effect from this and will have an enormous amount of light coming into your eye. Before jumping in check with other shooters locally for ideas on this and see what they use. Going to a large Rear Peep is counter productive in my humble opinion.

Enjoy your shoot and ask around, make use of others experience.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

FWB2700 Lover wrote:If you have the money, you might want to consider some rear sights from Gehmann, they have adjustable colour diopters, you can change the iris size by twisting it to different levels. They have a few other options, but that is largely dependant on what model you get. They price range from $50-$180 so they're not too pricey.
similar to what i have now and what i am looking at, just newer with more adjustment.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Re: rear aperture size.

This has much to do with individual eyes. I've had to go to the larger size, and now use about 2.2 opening in my indoor range. Better lighting might allow me to reduce that, but I get lots of light loss through 6.75 diopter lenses (yeah, I'm almost blind, but thankfully correctable) and a cataract beginning to form.

As long as the rear opening is smaller than your iris diameter you are OK, and very few have less than 3mm iris opening even in bright light (larger of course in lower light).
jamcmahon

Post by jamcmahon »

I see my reply is a bit dated... If you are still following this thread give this a try

Couple of things I saw:

1) Try lowering your bent leg a bit, while a bent leg is a positive, you want your hips and chest to be as flat to the ground as possible. The bent leg simply relieves some pressure on your chest and eases breathing for us "bigger guys" Should eliminate some neck strain

2) Bring your hand stop back to contact your support hand. Ever shot "bench-rest"? Your support hand serves the same purpose as the bench, if your hand doesn't contact the rest, then you are using arm muscles and won't last long in a stable position (eventually shaking as your arm wears out.)

3) Try squaring your shoulders up with the target face (little less than a 45 deg angle)

4) Keep the base of your neck in line with the base of your spine and in line with your left ankle. You should be able to lay a broom handle from the base of your neck and see a straight line from the base of your neck to the ankle of your support side (left side for a RH shooter) obviously with your spine and leg following the broom handle.

Any unnecessary bends in your body or position create pinch points that cause pain certain spots. These also cause a pulse to develop.

5) Keep the weight on both elbows the same. Balance is key to consistency, which is key to 10's. At long distances this is essential to solid and "strong" scores, also leaves you less vulnerable to wind movements.

Good Luck!
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

thank you sir,

however i have made much progress since then

I have changed my rifle up a bit
viewtopic.php?t=32831&highlight=

and i have changed my position a bit too
viewtopic.php?t=33133&highlight=