4mm riser blocks with set screws?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bluetentacle

4mm riser blocks with set screws?

Post by bluetentacle »

I don't have enough elevation adjustment for 100 yards and need to bring my front sight lower or my rear sight higher. I already have on hand a Centra 4mm riser which could replace my current 8mm front riser.

My concern is that this riser is secured by 4 small vertical set screws rather than side clamps. Could these set screws marr the finish on my sight rail? Would I need to Loctite them? I'd like to hear from those who have had experience with this type of risers. Thanks.
tenring

Post by tenring »

They will mar the finish, but does it matter? They do make a different kind that are clamped by the pressure of the sight when tightened. You can spend another $60 for those if you don't want to mar the blue. kind of hard to find as most here in the states don't carry them or they are out of stock.

tenring
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Shameless plug:

I'm not real crazy about the Anschutz style clamp-on 4mm risers because they only really clamp on one end of the riser. I also don't like the Centra 4mm style because of the set screws.

I figured there had to be a better way so I came up with the riser in the attached picture. I've only made the long risers in this size so far, and only for Anschutz dovetails. This riser only works with at least two sight clamps. In other words it won't work with a single sight clamp like on a front sight. The clamping pressure required is just too high for one clamp screw. Eventually I'll make a 4mm riser half as long that will work with a front sight. I've already got one shooter with a prototype 1/2 length one that is working fine.

Offer to bluetentacle: I'll sell you one for $20, shipping included if you post a report on how it works for you. Sorry, my website is still not updated so send me a PM if interested.

Eric U
Attachments
halfriser.jpg
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

Eric, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, as luck would have it, my front and rear sights BOTH have a single clamp (my rear sight is a MEC Free Sight). The Free Sight does have a very large clamp though. Would it work with this riser?
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

tenring wrote:They will mar the finish, but does it matter? They do make a different kind that are clamped by the pressure of the sight when tightened. You can spend another $60 for those if you don't want to mar the blue. kind of hard to find as most here in the states don't carry them or they are out of stock.

tenring
tenring, I did try to order it from CSS but they are out of these and plan to discontinue them anyway.
tenring

Post by tenring »

I had the same problem. I cant remember where I found mine. I'll let you know though. I've had no problem with mine. I'll wiggle them around and let you know if they are no good.

tenring
supermatch

Post by supermatch »

The Anschutz blocks 6923 are friction fit, and 4mm